Pactolus sentence example
- The city lay between a mountain (its acropolis) and the river Pactolus, and its site was marked by two great Ionic columns standing deep in earth.
- Its site is now absolutely deserted, except that a tiny village, Sart, merely a few huts inhabited by seminomadic Yuruks, exists beside the Pactolus, and that there is a station of the Smyrna & Cassaba railway 1 m.
- On the banks of the Pactolus two columns of a temple of the Greek period, probably the great temple of Cybele, are still standing.
- By the command of the god he bathed in the river Pactolus, which henceforth became auriferous (Ovid, Metam.
- A second victory followed on the banks of the Pactolus; by the autumn of 546 Sardis had already fallen and the Persian power advanced at a bound to the Mediterranean.Advertisement
- The Pactolus, which flowed from the fountain of Tame - in the Tmolus mountains, through the centre of Sardis, into the Hermus, was believed to be full of golden sand; 1 Pliny (v.
- The statement that the little stream Pactolus which flowed through the market-place rolled over golden sands is probably little more than a metaphor, due to the wealth of the city to which the Greeks of the 6th century B.C. resorted for supplies of gold; but trade and the organization of commerce were the real sources of this wealth.