Pacifying sentence example
- Mrs. Keller took the baby in her arms, and when we had succeeded in pacifying her, I asked Helen, "What did you do to baby?"
- Alexander had succeeded in pacifying Finland, and his troops held the Danubian provinces of Turkey - a pledge, as it seemed, for the future conquest of Constantinople.
- From the end of 1888 the amir passed eighteen months in his northern provinces bordering upon the Oxus, where he was engaged in pacifying the country that had been disturbed by revolts, and in punishing with a heavy hand all who were known or suspected to have taken any part in rebellion.
- Lord Granville further inquired whether Italy would co-operate in pacifying the Sudan, and received an affirmative reply.
- Amid these disturbances Gregory died, on the 10th of April 1585, leaving to his successor, Sixtus V., the task of pacifying the state.Advertisement
- It is a proof of the wisdom of Aurelius's clemency that he had little or no trouble in pacifying the provinces which had been the scene of rebellion.
- These wise concessions might possibly have had ~ d some effect in pacifying Ireland, if, in the autumn of tee ra ~ 1845, they had not been forgotten in the presence of a disaster which suddenly fell on that unhappy country.
- Being the outcome of the Constitution of the year III., it should have been the organizing and pacifying government of the Republic; in reality it sought not to create, but to preserve its own existence.
- Beginning in 1979, he persuaded a number of American prisons to paint their cells a camp, but supposedly pacifying shade.
- Favor Pitta pacifying foods include squash, warm milk, and homemade buttermilk.Advertisement
- If stewed or cooked until they are soft, they are not only pacifying to Apana Vata, but also to Pitta dosha.
- In the spring of 1903 serious disturbances took place in north-western Albania, but the Turks succeeded in pacifying the revolted tribesmen, partly by force and partly by concessions.
- He had already succeeded in partially pacifying them, when one of their colonels began to abuse the still hesitating and suspicious musketeers.
- Palmerston, however, did not share Canning's belief in the possible regeneration of Turkey; he held that an isolated intervention of Great Britain would mortally offend not only Russia but France, and that Mehemet Ali, disappointed of his ambitions, would find in France a support that would make him doubly dangerous.1 In the autumn Sultan Mahmud, as a last independent effort, despatched against Ibrahim the army which, under Reshid Pasha, had been engaged in pacifying Albania.
- Since then the principal military event is the Boni insurrection which was quelled in 1859, but this was far from pacifying the country permanently.Advertisement
- The old prince knew that if he told his daughter she was making a mistake and that Anatole meant to flirt with Mademoiselle Bourienne, Princess Mary's self-esteem would be wounded and his point (not to be parted from her) would be gained, so pacifying himself with this thought, he called Tikhon and began to undress.
- (The affair he had alluded to had happened a few days before--a fight between the prisoners and the French soldiers, in which Pierre had succeeded in pacifying his comrades.)