Pachisi sentence example
- The favourite game of patolli has been already mentioned for its similarity to the pachisi of modern India.
- Among Asiatic points of resemblance to which attention has since been called is the Mexican belief in the nine stages of heaven and hell, an idea which nothing in nature would suggest directly to a barbaric people, but which corresponds to the idea of successive heavens and hells among Brahmans and Buddhists, who apparently learnt it (in common with our own ancestors) from the Babylonian-Greek astronomical theory of successive stages or concentric planetary spheres belonging to the planets, &c. The Spanish chronicles also give accounts of a Mexican game called patolli, played at the time of the conquest with coloured stones moved on the squares of a cross-shaped figure, according to the throws of beans marked on one side; the descriptions of this rather complicated game correspond closely with the Hindu backgammon called pachisi (see Tylor in Jour.
- Each country may have its own slightly different set of rules or way of playing, but each is descended from the original Pachisi.
- There are many Pachisi game variations available today.
- Parcheesi is an American board game that is derived from a much older game from India known as Pachisi (aka the "Cross and Circle Game."Advertisement