Oyster-beds sentence example
- Whitstable has been famous for its oyster beds from time immemorial.
- One of the oldest of Venezuelan industries, the Margarita pearl fisheries, was prohibited in 1909 for an indefinite time because of the threatened extinction of the oyster beds.
- The history of the Kentish oyster fisheries goes back to the time of the Roman occupation, when the fame of the oyster beds off Rutupiae (Richborough) extended even to Rome.
- Seafisheries are prosecuted, and there are oyster-beds on the coast, but the produce requires to be freed from a peculiar flavour by the purer waters of the Welsh and English coast before it is fit for food.
- The oyster-beds and salmon fisheries are largely in the hands of the state, which lets them to the highest bidder.Advertisement
- The natural oyster beds of Great Britain and Ireland have been among the most valuable of the fishery resources, and British oysters have been famous from time immemorial.
- The simplest form of oyster culture is the preservation of the natural oyster-beds.
- It has also been demonstrated that under proper restriction great quantities of mature oysters, and seed oysters as well, may be taken from any region of natural oyster-beds without injurious effects.
- The Schleswig-Holstein oyster-beds are the property of the state, and are leased to a company whose interest it is to preserve their productiveness.
- At the beginning of the 19th century there were only natural oyster beds in the basin, and these produced 75 million oysters per annum.Advertisement
- Among shell-fish, crabs and oysters are taken principally off the east coast; the oyster beds in the shallow water off the north Kent and Essex coasts, as at Whitstable and Colchester, being famous.
- Flounders and mullet are caught in the Black Sea, and there are oyster-beds in the delta and on the Dobrudja littoral.
- There are some valuable oyster beds.
- By the mid 1700s, the colonists started referring to it as "Oyster Island" due to the extensive natural oyster beds surrounding the island area.