Overrule sentence example
- The king had by a royal edict cumbered the queen-regent with a council and other restrictions, and it was necessary to get the parlement of Paris to overrule the edict and make the queen absolute regent, which was done with the greatest complaisance.
- or, as the semi-pagan creed of some Christians taught, that God did not constantly overrule the world he had created (i.
- While God fulfils His all-embracing purpose, that fulfilment leaves room for the exercise of individual freedom; the freedom God has bestowed on man He can so restrain and direct as to overrule even its abuse for His own gracious ends.
- About the same time were instituted the deputies on mission in the provinces, who could overrule any local authority, and who corresponded regularly with the Committee.
- Public work may be prevented by remonstrance of interested property owners except in certain instances, when the city, by vote of the people, may overrule all remonstrances.Advertisement
- The Human Rights Act will not overrule a properly followed legal process.
- Chase and Judge John C. Underwood constituted the United States circuit court sitting for Virginia before which the case was brought in December 1868; the court was divided, the chief justice voting to sustain the motion and Underwood to overrule it.
- These opinions must overrule the view of some Christian scholars that the writer often blunders in Jewish matters, the fact being that his knowledge is derived from the Judaism of Alexandria' rather than Palestine.
- overrule local law?
- Shipping considerations, the type of prescription, and lens availability may overrule a price break.Advertisement
- Paul could not bring himself to overrule a recent predecessor, Pius XI, who had condemned contraception in 1931.
- overrule what the parties have contractually agreed to.