Otago sentence example
- The Cretaceous system includes the Waipara series, a belt of chalky limestones with some phosphate beds at Clarendon in eastern Otago.
- These Cretaceous limestones are interbedded with glauconitic greensands, as at Moeraki Point in eastern Otago.
- In southern Otago the Oligocene beds are brown coals and lignites with oil shales, which, at Orepuki, contain 47% of oil and gas, with 8% of water.
- In South Island the river-beds of Otago province have been successfully worked by means of dredges, and good returns secured.
- There were in its early years six distinct settlements - Auckland, Wellington, Nelson, New Plymouth, Canterbury and Otago - between which communication was for several years irregular and infrequent.Advertisement
- Grey, much the best of the absolute governors, held the balance fairly between the white and brown races, and bought large tracts of land for colonization, including the whole South Island, where the Presbyterian settlement of Otago and the Anglican settlement of Canterbury were established by the persevering Wakefield.
- Not, however, until 1861 was a permanent field found - that lighted upon by Gabriel Read at Tuapeka in Otago.
- Southland was a separate province between 1860 and 1870, but, failing financially as such, rejoined the parent province of Otago.
- Immense shoals are reported to visit the east coast of Otago every year in February and March.
- The colony of Otago (from a native word meaning ochre, which was found here and highly prized by the Maoris as a pigment for the body when preparing for battle) was founded as the chief town of the Otago settlement by settlers sent out under the auspices of the lay association of the Free Church of Scotland in 1848.Advertisement
- The discovery of large quantities of gold in Otago in 1861 and the following years brought prosperity, a great " rush " of diggers setting in from Australia.
- To the south of the district in southern Westland, where the Alps have passed out to sea, the Archeans become more extensive; for they spread eastward and underlie the whole of the dissected tableland of Otago.