Oscans sentence example
- The last-named were certainly in Nola about 500 B.C. At the time when it sent assistance to Neapolis against the Roman invasion (328 B.e.) it was probably occupied by Oscans in alliance with the Samnites.
- The lake was also known in classical times as lacus Amyclanus, from the town of Amyclae or Amunclae, which was founded, according to legend, by Spartan colonists, and probably destroyed by' the Oscans in the 5th century B.C.
- If it ever existed in Etruscan, it had been lost before the Oscans and Umbrians borrowed their alphabets.
- What was true of the antiquities would be true also, he argued, of the Etruscan language, and the object of the Saggio di lingua Etrusca was to prove that this language must be related to that of the neighbouring peoples - Romans, Umbrians, Oscans and Greeks.
- 4, 8), in whose time it was a populous and flourishing place, tells us that it was first occupied by the Oscans 2 (to whom we must attribute the Doric temple in the Foro Triangolare), afterwards by the Tyrrhenians (i.e.Advertisement