Orphism sentence example
- Both inculcated a peculiar kind of ascetic life; both had a mystical speculative theory of religion, with purificatory rites, abstinence from beans, &c.; but Orphism was more especially religious, while Pythagoreanism, at least originally, inclined more to be a political and philosophical creed.
- It does not appear, however, that a regularly organized or numerous Orphic sect ever existed, nor that Orphism ever became popular; it was too abstract, too full of symbolism.
- Of more modern writings on Orpheus and Orphism the following may be consulted.
- Epimenides must be reckoned with Melampus and Onomacritus as one of the founders of Orphism.
- The doctrine established itself in Greek theology under the influence of Orphism, and supplied Plato with mythic forms for his " criticism of life."Advertisement