Orne sentence example
- The Orne, which rises in the hills of Normandy and falls into the Channel below Caen, is of considerably less importance.
- Other institutions belonging to the state are the national sheep-fold of Rambouillet (Seine-et-Oise) and the cow-house of Vieux-Pin (Orne) for the breeding of Durham cows.
- It is situated on the slope of a hill on the right bank of the Orne at its confluence with the Ure.
- Hence he was already aware that the French position extended to Roncourt at least, and had despatched a whole division down the valley of the Orne to outflank them.
- About 7 p.m, the Saxon turning-movement took effect; their infantry from the Orne valley attacked Roncourt from the north, and about 7.15 the village was carried.Advertisement
- It is situated in the valley and on the left bank of the Orne, the right bank of which is occupied by the suburb of Vaucelles with the station of the Western railway.
- To the south-west of Caen, the Orne is joined by the Odon, arms of which water the "Prairie," a fine plain on which a well-known race-course is laid out.
- Its trade is due to its position in the agricultural and horsebreeding district known as the "Campagne de Caen" and to its proximity to the iron mines of the Orne valley, and to manufacturing towns such as Falaise, Le Mans, &c. In the south-east of the town there is a floating basin lined with quays and connected with the Orne and with the canal which debouches into the sea at Ouistreham 9 m.
- The Eure, from which the department takes its name, rises in Orne, and flowing through Eure-etLoir, falls into the Seine above Pont de l'Arche, after a course of 44 m.
- The Risle likewise rises in Orne, and flows generally northward to its mouth in the estuary of the Seine.Advertisement