Orientalism sentence example
- Gem-engraving and jewelry follow similar lines; pottery-painting for the most part remains geometrical throughout, with crude survivals of Mycenaean curvilinear forms. Those Aegean influences, however, which had been predominant in the later Bronze Age, and had never wholly ceased, revived, as Hellenism matured and spread, and slowly repelled the mixed Phoenician orientalism.
- His most recent books include Orientalism, The A to Z of Postmodern Life and the co-authored international bestseller Why Do People Hate America?
- Week 2: Postcolonial Literary and Film Theory Text: said, Orientalism, and Young, Postcolonialism.
- Both share a passion for romantic Orientalism and have frequently featured together in important books on Romanticism and the East.
- Its arrival, whilst reading the late Edward W Said's seminal book Orientalism, was timely.Advertisement
- But such a priori slicing up of European Orientalism needs to be given a better and more convincing reason.
- What is the relationship between early or mid-19th century writing about empire and late 19th-century Orientalism, produced in the heyday of empire?
- To judge from Said's disdain for most criticisms of Orientalism, he would have summarily tossed such pebbles from his elegant shoe.
- The next instant she was swerving to avoid an orientalism, which would have made it too unworldly.
- Orientalism: Around 1913, fashion slaves everywhere fell in love with what they deemed "Orientalism."Advertisement
- Greek cosmogonies (the orientalism of which is clear) will be found in Hesiod, Theog.