Orexins sentence example
- The nerve cells, or neurons, in this part of the hypothalamus secrete substances known as hypocretins or orexins, which regulate the sleep/wake cycle in humans.
- As of the early 2000s, narcolepsy is thought to be an orexin deficiency syndrome; that is, it develops when a person's hypothalamus does not secrete enough orexins to keep the person from falling asleep at inappropriate times.
- Samples of cerebrospinal fluid taken from patients with narcolepsy contain little or no orexins.
- MRI scans of these patients indicate that there is some loss of brain tissue in the hypothalamus itself, suggesting that the neurons responsible for secreting orexins have died.
- Yanagisawa. "Orexins: From Neuropeptides to Energy Homeostasis and Sleep/Wake Regulation."Advertisement