Order of magnitude sentence example
order of magnitude
- Consider the serial arrangement of the rationals in their order of magnitude.
- Finally, experiments were made to ascertain the effect of ' The loads were successively applied in decreasing order of magnitude.
- This kind of irregularity may clearly be present in a ' It must not be supposed that errors of this order of magnitude are unobjectionable in all cases.
- Trans., 1854, 1862) found that the cooling effect, do, was of the same order of magnitude as the deviations from Boyle's law in each case, and that it was proportional to the difference of pressure, dp, so that d0/dp was nearly constant for each gas over a range of pressure of five or six atmospheres.
- (g) Increased pressure nearly always diminishes the frequency of vibration, but this effect is generally of a smaller order of magnitude than the widening which takes place in the other cases.Advertisement
- These rays are apparently the trajectories of positively charged particles having masses of the order of magnitude of the gaseous molecules.
- We see, then, that the removal of a stratum from between neighbours where it is out of order and its introduction between neighbours where it will be in order is doubly favourable to the reduction of the sum of tensions; and since by a succession of such steps we may arrive at the order of magnitude throughout, we conclude that this is the disposition of minimum tensions and energy.
- A kilo of pure cocaine has a street value an order of magnitude higher than a kilo of muesli.
- 3-D digital comb filters are at least an order of magnitude more complex than the previous generation of comb filters.
- Soc., 1890, 47, p. 364), who found that a film of olive oil spread over the surface of water produced a perceptible effect on small floating pieces of camphor, at places at which the thickness of the film was io 6 X10 -8 cms., but produced no perceptible effect at all at places where the thickness of the film was 8.1 X10 -8 cms. Thus a certain phenomenon, of the nature of capillary action, is seen to depend for its existence on the linear dimensions of the film of oil; the physical properties of a film of thickness Io 6Xio 8 cms. are found to be in some way qualitatively different from those of a film of thickness 8.1 X io 8 cms. Here is proof that the film of oil is not a continuous homogeneous structure, and we are led to suspect that the scale on which the structure is formed has a unit of length comparable with 8 X10 -8 cms. The probability of this conjecture is strengthened when it is discovered that in all phenomena of this type the critical length connected with the stage at which the phenomenon changes its nature is of the order of magnitude of 10 -8 cms.Advertisement
- Other convenient practical units of the same kind would be the watt-hour, 3600 joules, which is of the same order of magnitude as the kilocalorie, and the kilowatt-hour, which is the ordinary commercial unit of electrical energy.
- Jeans has even estimated theoretically the average distances apart of these nuclei, and has shown that it agrees in order of magnitude with the observed distances of the stars from one another (Astrophysical Journal, vol.
- The 3-D digital comb filters are at least an order of magnitude more complex than the previous generation of comb filters.
- And with an order of magnitude more processing and graphical oomph than the Xbox, it should add a lot of pizzazz to your games.