Order-of-knighthood sentence example
- The Norwegian order of knighthood of St Olaf was founded in 1847 by Oscar I., king of Sweden and Norway, in memory of this king.
- (2) An order of knighthood similar to the Knights of St John, established by Pius II.
- It was then that the analogy was first detected between the order of knighthood and the order of priesthood, and that an actual union of monachism and chivalry was effected by the establishment of the religious orders of which the Knights Templars and the Knights Hospitallers were the most eminent examples.
- Protests were made at various times by Philip V., but the question has never been finally decided by treaty; and the Austrian and Spanish branches have continued as independent orders ever since as the principal order of knighthood in the respective states.
- In 1177 they were confirmed as a religious order of knighthood under Benedictine rule by Pope Alexander III.Advertisement
- Tradition attributes the foundation of this most illustrious order of knighthood to Magnus I.
- Afterwards the queen held a court at Trinity Lodge, where (16th of April 1705) she conferred the order of knighthood upon Sir Isaac Newton.
- He was now an old man of seventy-seven years, honoured with the friendship of princes, recognized as the most distinguished of Italian humanists, courted by pontiffs, and decorated with the laurel wreath and the order of knighthood by kings.
- The sovereign's permission by royal warrant is necessary before a British subject can receive a foreign order of knighthood.