Oppressing sentence example
- Opposition to the measures of the British government for taxing and oppressing the colonies began in Boston.
- Meanwhile in Turkey disorder prevailed in almost every province of the empire, and the local governors in many places became entirely independent, oppressing the people under their rule and often driving them to revolt.
- The absence of allusion to a hostile or oppressing empire may be fairly taken in connexion with the fact that the prophecy gives no indication of political life at Jerusalem.
- The absence of all mention of one great oppressing world-power seems most natural before the westward march of Assyria involved Israel in the general politics of Asia.
- But the Jews are no longer the obedient slaves of the oppressing power; there has been a national rising and armies have gone forth to battle.Advertisement
- 141), and of a letter to George king of Nubia from the king of Abyssinia some time between 978 and 1003, when a Jewish queen Judith was oppressing the Christian population (I.
- The money obtained by oppressing the Irish nation was employed to create an army for the oppression of the Scottish and English nations.
- He was found by Pharaoh's daughter, and his (step-)sister Miriam contrived that he should be nursed by his mother; on growing up he killed an Egyptian who was oppressing an Israelite, and this becoming, known, he sought refuge in flight.