Open-chain sentence example
- Here we meet with a great diversity of types: oxygen, nitrogen, sulphur and other elements may, in addition to carbon, combine together in a great number of arrangements to form cyclic nuclei, which exhibit characters closely resembling open-chain compounds in so far as they yield substitution derivatives, and behave as compound radicals.
- If we accept Kekule's formula for the benzene nucleus, then we may expect the double linkages to be opened up partially, either by oxidation or reduction, with the formation of di-, tetra-, or hexa-hydro derivatives, or entirely, with the production of open chain compounds.
- Generally rupture occurs at more than one point; and rarely are the six carbon atoms of the complex regained as an open chain.
- These compounds retain their aliphatic nature, and are best classified with open-chain compounds, into which, in general, they are readily converted.
- Systems which are generally unsaturated compounds, often of considerable stability, and behave as nuclei; these compounds constitute a well-individualized class exhibiting closer affinities to benzenoid substances than to the open-chain series.Advertisement
- Thelfirst four substances are readily formed from, and converted into, the corresponding dihydroxy open-chain compound; these substances are truly aliphatic in character.
- It is convenient to distinguish between aliphatic and aromatic acids; the first named being derived from open-chain hydrocarbons, the second from ringed hydrocarbon nuclei.
- In addition to these, a series of open-chain olefine terpenes is known.
- Two distinct types of hydrocarbons exist: (1) those consisting of an open chain of carbon atoms - named the " aliphatic series " (i.XEicAap, oil or fat), and (2) those consisting of a closed chain - the " carbocyclic series."
- As to the stability of these compounds, most trimethylene derivatives are comparatively unstable, the ring being broken fairly readily; the tetramethylene derivatives are rather more stable and the pentaand hexa-methylene compounds are very stable, showing little tendency to form open chain compounds under ordinary conditions (see Chemistry: Organic).Advertisement
- In contrast, open chain exercises such as the leg extension machine isolate one muscle group.