On-speaking-terms sentence example
- For a time he was not on speaking terms with the pope; and Napoleon recalled him from Rome.
- He was bitterly disappointed that Becket, on whom he bestowed the primacy, left vacant by the death of Theobald (1162), at once became the champion of clerical privilege; he and the archbishop were no longer on speaking terms when the Constitutions of Clarendon came up for debate.
- (At the Geneva arbitration conference these " national claims " were abandoned.) Under pressure from the president, on the ground that Sumner was no longer on speaking terms with the secretary of state, he was deposed on the 10th of March 1871 from the chairmanship of the committee on foreign relations, in which he had served with great distinction and effectiveness throughout the critical years since 1861.
- Indeed, I doubt if they are on speaking terms with their country cousins!
- As long as the two are on speaking terms and are able to work together to come to agreeable terms for the divorce, a Do it Yourself Divorce may be a good option.Advertisement