Omphalocele sentence example
- In omphalocele, some of the internal organs protrude through the abdominal muscles in the area around the umbilical cord.
- Omphalocele may be minor, involving only a small portion of the intestines, or it may be severe with most of the abdominal organs, such as the intestines, liver, and spleen, outside the body.
- Abdominal wall defects, specifically gastroschisis and omphalocele, are rare and occur in only once in every 5000 births.
- Children with abdominal wall defects may need additional services, especially those with omphalocele and associated chromosomal abnormalities and birth defects.
- More serious defects involving herniation of abdominal contents outside the infant's body are omphalocele and gastroschisis.Advertisement
- Omphalocele and gastroschisis are considered abdominal wall defects and are not called hernias.