Ommatidium sentence example
- The lateral eyes of Scorpio consist of groups of separate small lenses each with its ommatidium, but they do not form a continuous compound eye as in Limulus.
- - Single Ommatidium of Cockroach's Eye (after Grenacher).
- Each such unit is termed an "ommatidium."
- The ommatidium (soft structure beneath the lens-unit of a compound eye) is very simple in both Scorpio and Limulus.
- The cells of tl ommatidium are a good deal larger than the neighbouring common cells of the epidermis.Advertisement
- 23) each ommatidium has a peculiar ganglion cell developed in a central position, whilst the ommatidium of the lateral eyelets of Scorpio shows!
- that the lateral eyes of Scorpio have a single cell-layered or " monostichous " ommatidium like that of Limulus.
- Each such complex of cells underlying the lenticle of a compound eye is called an " ommatidium "; the entire mass of cells underlying a monomeniscous eye is an " ommataeum."
- The ommataeum, as already stated, tends to segregate into retinulae which correspond potentially each to an ommatidium of the compound eye.
- The ommatidium is from the first segregate and consists of few cells.Advertisement
- One single, complete eye, situated in a compound eye, is called an ommatidium.
- The surface of a compound eye is seen to be covered with a large number of hexagonal corneal facets, each of which overlies an ommatidium or series of cell elements (fig.
- - Diagram to show the derivation of the unit or "ommatidium " of the compound eye of Crustacea and Hexapoda, C, from a simple monomeniscous monostichous eye resembling the lateral eye of a scorpion, A, or the unit of the compound lateral eye of Limulus (see article Arachnida, figs.