Ommatidium sentence example
- The lateral eyes of Scorpio consist of groups of separate small lenses each with its ommatidium, but they do not form a continuous compound eye as in Limulus.
- Each such unit is termed an "ommatidium."
- The ommatidium (soft structure beneath the lens-unit of a compound eye) is very simple in both Scorpio and Limulus.
- The cells of tl ommatidium are a good deal larger than the neighbouring common cells of the epidermis.
- Each such complex of cells underlying the lenticle of a compound eye is called an " ommatidium "; the entire mass of cells underlying a monomeniscous eye is an " ommataeum."Advertisement
- The ommataeum, as already stated, tends to segregate into retinulae which correspond potentially each to an ommatidium of the compound eye.
- The ommatidium is from the first segregate and consists of few cells.
- One single, complete eye, situated in a compound eye, is called an ommatidium.