Olive-tree sentence example
- The olive tree flourishes only in the Fayum and the oases.
- Throughout the region north of the Apennines no plants will thrive which cannot stand occasional severe frosts in winter, so that not only oranges and lemons but even the olive tree cannot be grown, except in specially favoured situations.
- The site of this precinct, in which the sacred olive tree of Athena grew, has been almost certainly fixed by an inscription found in the bastion of Odysseus.
- Athena also gave the Athenians the olive-tree, which was supposed to have sprung from the bare soil of the Acropolis, when smitten by her spear, close to the horse (or spring of water) produced by the trident of Poseidon, to which he appealed in support of his claim to the lordship of Athens.
- It may be due partly to the natural conformation of the rock and the differences of level, partly to the necessity of enclosing within a single building several objects of ancient sanctity, such as the mark of Poseidon's trident and the spring that arose from it, the sacred olive tree of Athena, and the tomb of Cecrops.Advertisement
- The sacred olive tree probably stood just outside the temple to the west in the Pandroseion.
- Besides this there are bois de cannelle, olive-tree, benzoin (Croton Benzoe), colophane (Colophonia), and iron-wood, all of which are useful in carpentry; 1 See Geog.
- The olive tree grows on the high plateau and covers the flanks of the hills to within 3000 ft.
- So great was the esteem in which it was held, that in the early legend of the struggle between the gods of sea and land, Poseidon and Athena, for the patronage of the country, the sea-god is represented as having to retire vanquished before the giver of the olive; and at a later period the evidences of this contention were found in an ancient olive tree in the Acropolis, together with three holes in the rock, said to have been made by the trident of Poseidon, and to be connected with a salt well hard by.
- For size, vigorous growth and productiveness the olive tree of Zante is rivalled only by that of Corfu.Advertisement
- The Extra Olive Enthusiast 's kit A young Olive tree in a terracotta pot, ideal for a sunny windowsill or conservatory.
- These are the kinds of kitchens that you might find in rustic Italian farmhouses that are home to families who work olive tree fields or homes in the rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside.
- Start by covering tables with linens that have a French country style pattern, such as the ones mentioned above or linens with floral, olive tree or rooster designs.
- Whichever technique you choose to apply your Tuscan style kitchen paint, you'll end up with the feel of an Italian villa by the sea or nestled along the hillside among a vineyard or olive tree grove.
- Visit Olive Tree Genealogy to peruse 1,900 pages of genealogical records.Advertisement
- The Olive Tree Genealogy also has a database with information on passengers and ships from Germany, England and Ireland.
- One of the most respected genealogy sites on the Internet, the Olive Tree Genealogy has lots of information about researching your military ancestors.
- While the Olive Tree Genealogy doesn't have as many free military records as the National Archives, they do make it easier to access the information.