Oldcastle sentence example
- St Paul's in 1396; and the doom of Sir John Oldcastle was sealed at the latter place in 1413.
- 1 Further papers from his pen signed "John Trot" appeared in the Craftsman in 1728, and in 1730 followed Remarks on the History of England by Humphrey Oldcastle, attacking the Walpoles' policy.
- He practised as an ecclesiastical lawyer, was an assessor at the trial of Oldcastle, and in 1415 was made dean of the Court of Arches.
- The story of Falstaff originated partly in Henry's early friendship for Oldcastle (q.v.).
- With Oldcastle Henry used his personal influence in vain, and the gravest domestic danger was Lollard discontent.Advertisement
- Henry arrested John Oldcastle, Lord Cobham, their Perseculeading politician, and had him tried and condemned ~ C to the stake.
- But Oldcastle escaped from the Tower before the day fixed for his execution, and framed a wild plot for slaying or deposing his persecutor.
- On the eve of his departure he detected and quelled a plot as wild and futile as that of Oldcastle.
- This was Sir John Oldcastle, in right of his wife, Lord Cobham, "the good Lord Cobham" as the common people called him.
- Oldcastle was convicted, but was imprisoned for forty days in the Tower in hope that he might recant.Advertisement
- In the end Oldcastle was burnt for an obstinate heretic (Dec. 1417).
- Two appeared about the time of the martyrdom of Oldcastle - The Ploughman's Prayer and the Lanthorne of Light.
- In 1413 he took a leading part in the proceedings against Sir John Oldcastle, Lord Cobham, and in the following year he died on the 19th of February, and was buried at Canterbury.