Old-town Sentence Examples
There are some remains of the old town walls.
The old town contains one or two interesting churches, and commands a fine view.
In the old town of Bridlington the church of St Mary and St Nicholas consists of the fine Decorated and Perpendicular nave, with Early English portions, of the priory church of an Augustinian foundation of the time of Henry I.
It has an old town hall, a theatre and several statues of eminent men.
The site, now called Eski-shehr, shows only a few traces of the old town.Advertisement
The old town is picturesquely situated on a lofty declivity, which includes the most easterly point of land in England.
Crevillente is a picturesque old town built among the eastern foothills of the Sierra de Crevillente.
The actual building dates from the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th century, and contains a fine library with a collection of rare manuscripts and incunabula; near it is the small and old town of Tepl (pop. 2789).
The city lies in a fertile valley shut in by vine-clad hills, and the picturesque red sandstone buildings of the old town are interspersed with orchards and gardens.
The old town is composed of winding streets and culs-de-sac bordered by old houses in the Flemish style.Advertisement
Kolomea is a very old town and is mentioned already in 1240, but the assertion that it was a Roman settlement under the name of Colonia is not proved.
A Runic sculptured stone, believed to be of the 8th century, and the old town cross stand in High Street, but the great cattle fair, for which Crieff was once famous, was removed to Falkirk in 1770.
The principal buildings within the parish are the old town hall, now used as a volunteer drill hall and armoury; the county buildings, containing the town hall and court house; the academy; reformatory and the Wigtownshire combination poorhouse.
It is a very old town situated on the Biela, and contains a 17thcentury castle, belonging to Prince Lobkowitz.
Suczawa is a very old town and was until 1565 the capital of the principality of Moldavia.Advertisement
In the middle of the market-place stands the old town hall, with red tower and cupola, known from its situation as the Mid Steeple, built by Tobias Bachup of Alloa (1708).
The competition for this cannon-shaped tube, now preserved in the old town hall, took place annually - with a great festival every seven years - until 1831.
The present town dates from 1797, when the great earthquake of that year destroyed the old town then situated 12 m.
The ruins of the old town indicate that it was much larger and finer than its successor.
After the foundation of New Paphos and the extinction of the Cinyrad and Ptolemaic dynasties, the importance of the Old Town declined rapidly.Advertisement
It consists of the old town on the left, the new town on the right, bank of the Werra, and BrUckenhausen on a small island connected with the old and new town by bridges.
But some parts of the old town have been rebuilt, and there is a modern suburb on the opposite side of the Ebro.
The site of the old town slopes sharply upward from the harbour, to the west of which there extends an esplanade and modern residential quarter; for Penzance, with its mild climate, is in considerable favour as a health resort.
Selmeczbanya is an old town whose mines existed in the 8th century.
It' is a picturesque old town with several brick houses of the 16th and 17th centuries.Advertisement
It has been in large part rebuilt since a fire in 1836, and possesses a castle, with various collections, a museum of antiquities, an old town hall and churches.
The church tower dates from 1521, but the old town was destroyed by fire in 1833.
In Antioch itself Meletius continued to have adherents, who held separate services in the "Apostolic" church in the old town.
The steep, narrow streets of the old town contrast with the wide, shady boulevards which encircle it and divide it from the suburbs.
The old town lies on the left bank of the river, between the streams Meisse and Triebisch, and its irregular hilly site and numerous fine old buildings make it picturesque.
The old town lies low, and it is traversed by a great number of narrow canals or " fleets " (Fleeten) - for the same word which has left its trace in London nomenclature is used in the Low German city - which add considerably to the picturesqueness of the meaner quarters, and serve as convenient channels for the transport of goods.
In 1836 a railway from Bangor to Old Town was completed; this was the first railway in the state; Bangor had, also, the first electric street-railway in Maine (1889), and one of the first iron steamships built in America ran to this port and was named "Bangor."
These tall tenements on both sides of what is now High Street and Canongate are still a prominent characteristic of the Old Town.
In 1763 the first North Bridge, connecting the Old Town with the sloping ground on which afterwards stood the Register House and the theatre in Shakespeare Square, was opened; a little later the Nor' Loch was partially drained, and the bridging of the Cowgate in 1785 encouraged expansion southwards.
This unsightly mass of rubbish lay for a while as an eyesore, until the happy thought arose of converting it into a broad way joining the new .oNd at Hanover Street with the Old Town at the Lawnmarket.
Above the cliff west of the old town is a broad promenade called the Lees, commanding a notable view of the channel and connected by lifts with the shore below.
The modern town lies at the foot of a rock, on which stands the old town with its steep rock-paved streets and fortified walls, commanded by the Fort Muzello.
In the old town are the two largest of the HÃ¶fe, extensive blocks of buildings belonging to the great abbeys of Austria, which are common throughout Vienna.
The old town occupied the site of the ancient Pisae on the right bank of the Arno.
The interior of the old town consists chiefly of narrow and irregular streets, with many quaint and picturesque houses.
The present town, containing less than a thousand houses, is supposed to occupy only a small portion of the area covered by the ancient city; it lies in a kloof or valley, but the old town must have been built on the western ridge rather than in the valley, as the traces of well-dressed stones are more numerous there than elsewhere.
The old town stands on an island hemmed in by the canal and the harbour basins, which divide it from the much more extensive manufacturing quarter of St Pierre, enveloping it on the east and south.
In the centre of the old town is the Place d'Armes, in which stands the former hotel-de-ville (rebuilt in 174.0, restored in 1867), with busts of Eustache de St Pierre, Francis, duke of Guise, and Cardinal Richelieu.
The harbour is entered from the roads by way of a channel leading to the outer harbour which communicates with a floating basin 22 acres in extent, on the east, and with the older and less commodious portion of the harbour to the north and west of the old town.
See Samuel Orcutt and Ambrose Beardsley, History of the Old Town of Derby (Springfield, 1880); and the Town Records of Derby from 1655 to 1710 (Derby, 1901).
An interesting local phenomenon is that of lake Tequesquiten, which was formed by the subsidence of a large area of ground about the middle of the 19th century, carrying with it an old town of the same name.
Much of the old town has been demolished, and its general character now is that of a flourishing French city.
The old town is irregularly built, with narrow streets and old-fashioned gabled houses.
There are considerable remains of the old town walls, dating from Norman times, but strengthened on various later occasions.
To the north of the old town are the East and West Parks and the Hampshire county cricket ground, and to the south the small Queen's Park.
It is a picturesque and interesting old town with more regular streets and shady squares and fewer canals than most Dutch towns.
It consists of an old town with narrow and irregular streets and the remains of a fortress and ramparts, and a new town which possesses regular and spacious streets and many fine houses.
South Portland was part of the old town of Cape Elizabeth (pop. in woo, 887) until March 1895; the legislature granted it a city charter in 1895, which was not accepted by the town until December 1898.
The old town (Medina), the walls of which have in great part disappeared, lies between two suburbs, the Ribat-elSowika on the north and the Ribat Bab-el-Jezira on the south.
The streets of the old town probably, as at Naples, preserve the ancient alignment.
The streets of the old town are narrow and crooked, and contain many picturesque gabled houses, generally of the 17th century, but those of the upper and lower new town, and the three suburbs, are not surpassed by any in Germany.
Much of the old town caved into the river, and during the Civil War it was burned by the Federal forces soon after the capture of Memphis.
The principal public buildings in the old town of Stoke are the town hall, with assembly rooms, law library and art gallery, the market hall, the Minton memorial building, containing a school of art and science; the free library and museum, and the North Staffordshire infirmary, founded in 1815 at Etruria, and removed to its present site in 1868.
The old town (Caserta Vecchia) lies high (1310 ft.) about 3 m.
The old town has greatly changed from its condition in the 18th century.
By 1816 nearly all the Europeans had left the old town.
The principal part of Posen, on the left bank of the Warthe, comprises the old town (Alstadt) and the modern quarter created by the Prussians after 1793.
The new town extends to the south, the old town with its wide but irregular streets and its old mansions dating from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries lies to the north.
In the centre of the Old Town stands the cathedral of St Sophia, the oldest cathedral in the Russian empire.
Near the centre of the city is the old town square (now know as the City Hall Square), laid off in 1637.
It consists of two parts, the old town on the right bank and the new town on the left bank of the river; it is rapidly growing and is regularly laid out.
The principal buildings are the palace of the prince of Reuss-Greiz, surrounded by a fine park, the old château on a rocky hill overlooking the town, the summer palace with a fine garden, the old town church dating from 1225 and possessing a beautiful tower, the town hall, the governmental buildings and statues of the emperor William I.
The old town is built on the left bank of the (canalized) river Oster, and its suburbs, Novoye-Myesto and Magerki, on the right.
The old town forms a nucleus of narrow, winding streets surrounded by boulevards, beyond which lie modern quarters with regular thoroughfares and public gardens.
It is an old town still partly surrounded by medieval walls, and its most noteworthy buildings are the Roman Catholic parish church (12th and 13th centuries); the Carmelite church (1318), the former castle, now used for administrative offices; the Evangelical church (1851, enlarged in 1887); and the former Benedictine monastery of the Marienberg, founded 1123 and since 1839 a hydropathic establishment, crowning a hill Too ft.
The naval station proper and the old town of Cavite are on the south fork of the peninsula.
The new Shemakha was at different times a residence of the khan of Shirvan, but it was finally abandoned, and the old town rebuilt.
General McCarver's original plat included what is now the first ward of the city, and is called the Old Town.
The old town centres in the Plaza del Mercado, from which narrow and tortuous lanes radiate in various directions; the new one dates, from about the middle of the 18th century, and its streets are wide and straight.
Behind it is a Gothic tower, the only relic of the old town hall, demolished in 1820.
Alcaraz, which gives its name to the mountain range already mentioned, is a picturesque old town with the ruins of a Moorish castle, and a fine Roman aqueduct; pop. (1900) 45 01.
The old town extends in a narrow line along the river Sheppey, while the newer town has for its main street a viaduct across the river valley.
It consists of two quarters, the old town picturesquely situated on the south bank of the Carron and the new on the land between this stream and the Cowie, the two being connected by the bridge which carries the main road from the south to Aberdeen.
This afterwards became known as Queen's dock, and with Prince's and Humber docks completes the circle round the old town.
It consists of the old town on the right bank of the river, the new town on the left, and the Bade Insel (bath island), connected by a fine stone bridge.
In the suburbs which encircle the old town are to be noted the vast central Hauptbahnhof (1893-1898) occupying the site of the old Bohmischer railway station, the new premises of the municipal hospital and the Ausstellungs-Halle (exhibition buildings).
Dresden (Old Slav Drezga, forest, Drezgajan, forestdwellers), which is known to have existed in 1206, is of Slavonic origin, and was originally founded on the right bank of the Elbe, on the site of the present Neustadt, which is thus actually the old town.
The old town of Gwalior, which is of considerable size, but irregularly built, and extremely dirty, lies at the eastern base of the rock.
The quaint characteristics of the hilly site of the old town have largely been destroyed by modern improvements, which began in 1836 and were not quite completed in 1910.
A very old town and the seat of a former margraviate belonging to the counts of Holland, Vlaardingen is now chiefly important as the centre of the great herring and cod fisheries of the North Sea.
The buildings of the old town are chiefly of brick, from four to five storeys in height, with flat roofs, and other oriental peculiarities; while in the new town hewn stone is very largely employed, and the architecture is often of a modern English style.
The main street or axis of the old town is the Rambla, which has a fine promenade planted with plane-trees running down the middle, and contains the principal hotels and theatres of the city.
Among its public buildings and institutions are the old town church, with a curious carved altar-piece, the town hall, the gymnasium and the provincial industrial school.
The old town of Budweis was founded in the 13th century by Budivoj Vitkovec, father of Zavis of Falkenstein.
The city consists of four quarters, - the old town (Altstadt) and its suburban extensions (Vorstadt) being on the right bank of the river, and the new town (Neustadt) with its southern suburb (Siidervorstadt) on the left bank.
The ramparts of the old town have long been converted into beautiful promenades and gardens, the moats forming a chain of lakes.
The Esk is crossed by a three-arched stone bridge, uniting the old town on the left bank with the new on the right, and a suspension bridge.
The long Hohe-strasse of the old town is the chief business street.
It consists of three parts - the old town to the east, and the middle and new towns to the west - of which the first retains some of the antique features of a Hanse town, while the last two are for the most part regularly and handsomely built.
Under Mehemet and his successors all the western part of the city has grown up. The khedive Ismail, in making the straight road from the citadel to the Ezbekia gardens, destroyed many of the finest houses of the old town.
The old town on the left bank was founded by Frederick II.
In the Elbe, between the old town and the Friedrichstadt, lies an island whereon stands the citadel; this is united with both banks by bridges.
The old town is surrounded by a Moorish wall with six gates; the newer portion is well and regularly built, and planted with numerous orange and other fruit trees.
The old town is built on some hills, on the left bank of the Tessin or Ticino river, and a little below the junction of the main Ticino valley (the Val Leventina) with that of Mesocco.
The principal buildings are a ducal palace, erected 1685-1695, now used as barracks, with a park in which there is a monument to Queen Louisa of Prussia, the old town hall, two Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church and a theatre.
The old town is the upper or northern part, and is inhabited by the poorer classes, its streets being badly paved, crooked, undrained, dirty and pestilential.
Francis and Liberalis (1504), in the background of which the towers of the old town may be seen.
Fragments of the old town walls and the south gateway, of the Decorated period, are standing.
It is situated in the narrow vale of the river Creedy near its junction with the Exe, between two steep hills, and is divided into two parts, the east or old town and the west or new town.
Here the Bashgol and Chitral valleys unite and the boundary passes to the water-divide east of the Chitral river, after crossing it by a spur which leaves the insignificant Arnawai valley to the north; along this water-divide it extends to a point nearly opposite the quaint old town of Pashat in the Kunar valley (the Chitral river has become the Kunar in its course southwards), and then stretches away in an uneven and undefined line, dividing certain sections of the Mohmands from each other by hypothetical landmarks, till it strikes the Kabul river near Palosi.
The former ramparts between the Trave and the old town ditch have been converted into promenades.
There are also an old town gate, and an ancient cemetery with slight monastic remains.
The ramparts of the old town can still be traced for a long distance, and there are fragments of two moles, of the theatre and of a gate.
In1877-1884the old town walls were demolished, a promenade and gardens taking their place, and since then a new quarter has grown up on the south side with a fine open place called the Emperor Charles's Plain.
Five lofty bridges have been thrown over the Aar, the two most modern being the Kirchfeld and Kornhaus bridges which have greatly contributed to create new residential quarters near the old town.
The town consists of two parts, the closely built old town on the peninsula to the N., and the new town to the S., which is laid out on a rectangular plan.
It is naturally built of materials from the old town.
Whitby is beautifully situated at the mouth and on both banks of the River Esk; the old town of narrow streets and picturesque houses standing on the steep slopes above the river, while the modern residential quarter is mainly on the summit of West Cliff.
Remains of a Roman amphitheatre and the chapel of St Quenin (dedicated to a bishop of the 6th century), with a curious apse of the end of the IIth century, are also to be seen in the old town.
The old town (High Buxton) stands a little above the new, and consists of one wide street, and a considerable market-place with an old cross.
It possesses an old town hall dating from 1566, a hospital, a lunatic asylum, an orphanage, and a large parish church rebuilt in 1756; but the chief interest centres in the church of the Holy Sepulchre, built in 1337, which attracts thousands of pilgrims to its Porta Caeli or Gaadenpforte (Gate of Mercy) opened annually on Michaelmas eve and closed again on the 4th of October.
The old town was swept away by a flood in 1823, and the present town stands 4 m.
In the old town stands the palace, built in the 13th century, enlarged in the 18th and restored after a fire in 1838.
Kassa consists of the inner town, which was the former old town surrounded with walls, and of three suburbs separated from it by a broad gla cis.
The old town hall, burnt down in 1895, has been replaced by a modern edifice.
Riga consists of four parts - the old town and the St Petersburg and Moscow suburbs on the right bank of the Dvina, and the Mitau suburb on the left bank, the two sides being connected by a floating bridge, which is removed in winter, and by a viaduct, 820 ft.
The old town still preserves its Hanseatic features - high storehouses, with spacious granaries and cellars, flanking the narrow, winding streets.
The old town (1558 ft.) lies on a hill above the new town, and is reached from it by a cable tramway.
The new town lies on the left bank, while the old town rises on the right in terraces.
Many of the streets in the old town are very narrow, and have an appearance of cleanliness and quiet.
This quarter has wide airy streets and lofty houses, and though perhaps the houses were let at prices which were beyond the purses of the lowest class, the result of their erection was to cause a number of the poorer houses in the old town to be vacated, thus giving an opportunity to the lowest class to be at any rate better housed than they were before.
It consists of an old town and several handsome suburbs, but much of the former has been rebuilt since a fire in 1874.
It was built in 1693, after the destruction by an earthquake of the old town of Occhiala to the north; the latter, on account of the similarity of name, is generally identified with Echetla, a frontier city between Syracusan and Carthaginian territory in the time of Hiero II., which appears to have been originally a Sicel city in which Greek civilization prevailed from the 5th century onwards.
Viviers is an old town with a church of various styles of architecture and several old houses.
The Jewish quarter was included in the fortifications, but it was divided by gates and a wall from the old town.
This, which includes the greater part of the modern city, was surrounded by walls, which starting from the foot of the Vysehrad included the small already-existing settlement of Pofic and then adjoined the borders of the old town from the beginning of the present Pfikopy Street up to the river.
The Bohemian nobles in alliance with the citizens of the old town attacked and conquered the new town, which for a time lost its privileges and became subject to the old town.
On the 21st of June 1621 the principal leaders of the rising against the house of Habsburg were beheaded in the market of the old town near the town hall.
The centre of the old town and indeed of the entire community of Prague is the town hall (staromestska radnice), which is surrounded by the market-place, the scene of the execution of the Bohemian patriots in 1621.
The Celetna ulice, which leads from the town hall to the limits of the old town contains at its extremity the so-called powder tower (prasna brcina).
It occupies the spot where one of the old town gates was situated, and was built by King Vladislav in that elaborate style of architecture which is known as the style of Vladisla y.
The old town is built inland, on a strip of country running between the Adriatic Sea and the Sutorman range of mountains, overshadowed by the peak of Rumiya (5148 ft.).
Antivari is the name applied both to Prstan and the old town.
The walls of the old town have given place to a broad boulevard and several open commons, beautifully laid out.
The municipal buildings, which contain the free library and reading-room, stand on the site of the old town hall.
The old town hall (Rathaus) contains a very valuable library, having at its entrance a fine flight of steps.
In the Old Town still remain a few specimens of eighteenth century architecture, including several old-fashioned post-houses, which used to furnish entertainment for travellers starting for the Middle West by way of the old Cumberland Road beginning at Fort Cumberland, and from Baltimore to Fort Cumberland by a much older turnpike.
The old inner town is surrounded by pleasant promenades, occupying the site of the old fortifications, and it is beyond these that industrial Chemnitz lies, girdling the old town on all sides with a thick belt of streets and factories, and ramifying far into the country.
Broad Street contains the ruins of Mar's Work, the palace built by John Erskine, 1st (or 6th) earl of Mar, about 1570, according to tradition, out of the stones of Cambuskenneth Abbey; the old town house, erected in 1701 instead of that in which John Hamilton, the last Roman Catholic archbishop of St Andrews, was hanged for alleged complicity in the murders of Darnley and the regent Moray; the town cross, restored in 1891, and the house which was, as a mural tablet says, the "nursery of James VI.
The town consists of three main divisions, the Old Town (or Glossop proper), Howard Town (or Glossop Dale) and Mill Town.
The city was founded by Constantine the Great, through the enlargement of the old town of Byzantium, in A.D.
The Alameda, one of many fine avenues, was laid out on the site of the chief landward wall, and separates the old town from the new - in which the houses are uniformly modern, and built in straight streets or regular series of squares.
On the south of the old town are the various schools, laboratories and hospitals of the medical faculty, all built since 1877.
The picturesque old town occupies an outlying ridge of the Croatian Karst; while the modern town, with its wharves, warehouses, electric light and electric trams, is crowded into the amphitheatre left between the hills and the shore.
In the old town is a Roman triumphal arch, said to have been erected during the 3rd century A.D.
Teschen is an old town and was the capital of the duchy of Teschen.
The new town is on the right bank of the river, while the old town and the fortress are on the opposite bank.
The picturesque old town stands on a hill overlooking the Gloucestershire borders, the White Horse Vale and Lambourn Down in Berkshire, and the great chalk uplands of Marlborough; while the camps of Blunsdon, Ringsbury, Barbury and Badbury are all visible.
Caromb also has a pretty old town center and a lovely auberge in the main square.
We also visit the Gothic cathedral in the charming old town.
The old town is sited on an imposing 9th century citadel, built on top of a peninsula overlooking the Mediteranean Sea.
It was all built be this one very proud man who showed us his 40m2 model of old town colonial Quito.
The old town is dominated by the old and the new Venetian fortresses toward the northern end of town.
And staring from the old town wall which makes one of the interior walls of the museum is an old gargoyle.
In the Old Town you will find Fort Jesus, the permanent garrison built by the hapless Portuguese.
Private Palace is a spectacular vacation getaway in the heart of Old Town Key West.
A lick of fresh paint has given the old town an optimistic, almost jaunty air.
Others will enjoy shopping in the old town or walking the 15th century town ramparts.
Stroll through the old town and see the Town Hall's soaring medieval steeple, one of the oldest in Europe.
We found what we were looking for, coffee and fabulous little custard tarts, in what's left of the old town.
The Gems sides are white doo wop, released on Old Town subsidiary Win, and currently fetching $ 300 for an original copy.
The old town presents a strong contrast to the new town.
In the old town are the two largest of the HÃƒ¶fe, extensive blocks of buildings belonging to the great abbeys of Austria, which are common throughout Vienna.
While with its quaint redroofed houses, its old town walls (restored about 1250), its castle, its cathedral (13th and 15th centuries), its episcopal palace (1283), and its various churches and convents Rieti has no small amount of medieval picturesqueness; it also displays a good deal of modern activity in vine and olive growing and cattle-breeding.
The Leine flows through the city, having the old town on its right and the quaint Calenberger quarter between its left bank and the Ihme.
The principal buildings are the palace of the prince of Reuss-Greiz, surrounded by a fine park, the old chÃ¢teau on a rocky hill overlooking the town, the summer palace with a fine garden, the old town church dating from 1225 and possessing a beautiful tower, the town hall, the governmental buildings and statues of the emperor William I.
Faro, the capital of the Algarve, is situated around a quaint harbor with narrow streets located in the old town.
The old town within the walls was largely rebuilt also.
He sculpted the marble statue Major General Sir John Malcolm (1836) for Old Town Hall, Mumbai.
Stroll through the old town and see the Town Hall 's soaring medieval steeple, one of the oldest in Europe.
Equally tempting are the friendly tapas bars in the pretty Old Town.
The old town you see today is mostly medieval, located on top of a flat hill and surrounded by a towered city wall.
Although referred to as constables, these four men were in fact on a par with the old town watchmen.
The working fishing harbor adjacent to the Old Town has plenty of waterfront restaurants.
If you are moving, put a friend's name and phone number from your old town on it.
Finally out of nowhere an old town car pulled up while I was attempting to flag down a different cab.
In the Old Town region, patrician homes are the common style of architecture.
The studio is located near Old Town San Diego.
You should also tour the Old Town Artist Village, where you'll find working studios, craft stores, galleries, and specialty shops.
Chartres' old town is also enchanting, with its narrow cobblestone lanes and picturesque storefronts.
Constructed by Bahamian ship merchants in the late 19th century, this historic Victorian inn is located on a quiet area of Key West's Old Town district.
While you are in Albuquerque, you can also spend some time exploring the historic old town.
Known as the Holiday Shop & Stroll, most stores offer extended hours and a free shuttle between the Old Town district and the aforementioned River of Lights.
The narrator is moving out of his old town and getting a fresh start.