Old pretender sentence example
- Lord Stormont's family was Jacobite in its politics, and his second son James (c. 1690-1728), being apparently mixed up in some of the plots of the time, joined the court of the exiled Stuarts and in 1721 was created earl of Dunbar by James Edward, the Old Pretender.
- at Scone 1705) - entertained the Old Pretender for three weeks in 1716, and his son received Prince Charles Edward in 1746.
- by the Jacobites and the Old Pretender by the Hanoverians, had two sons - Charles Edward, the Young Pretender, who died without legitimate issue in 1780, and Henry Stuart, titular duke of York, commonly called Cardinal York, on whose death in 1807 the male line of James II.
- In 1715 the Old Pretender was proclaimed king at the Mercat Cross (Sept.
- The Old Pretender himself calculated upon foreign aid in his attempts to restore the monarchy of the Stuarts; and the idea of rebellion unassisted by invasion or by support of any kind from abroad was one which it was left for Charles Edward to endeavour to realize.Advertisement
- Of all the European nations France was the one on which Jacobite hopes mainly rested, and the warm sympathy which Cardinal Tencin, who had succeeded Fleury as French minister, felt for the Old Pretender resulted in a definite scheme for an invasion of England to be timed simultaneously with a prearranged Scottish rebellion.
- 2 In later years, however, she had no doubt that the Old Pretender was her brother.
- In 1715 the Earl Marischal proclaimed the Old Pretender at Aberdeen, and in 1745 the duke of Cumberland resided for a short time in the city before attacking the Young Pretender.
- He has been freely charged with gross misrepresentation, an accusation to which he laid himself open, for instance, in the account of the birth of James, the Old Pretender.
- The recognition of the Old Pretender asJames III., king~if England, was only a response to the Grand Alliance, but it drew the English Tories into an inevitable war.Advertisement