Oland sentence example
- He therefore withdrew to the isle of Oland till the abdication of Christina (June 5, 1654) called him to the throne.
- On the outbreak of the Russo-Swedish War of 1788 he served with distinction as admiral of the fleet, especially at the battles of Hogland (June 17, 1788) and Oland (July 26, 1789).
- It lies opposite the island of Oland, mainly on two small islands, but partly on the mainland, where there is a pleasant park.
- The principal public edifices, however, are constructed of limestone from Oland, including the cathedral, built by Nicodemus Tessin and his son Nicodemus in the second half of the 17th century.
- Off the south-east coast the place of the skdrgard is in a measure taken by the long narrow island of Oland, but north of this the skrgard begins to widen, and the most considerable fjords are found, such as Bravik, which penetrates the land for 35 m.Advertisement
- Of the large islands in the Baltic and Cattegat, besides Oland, only Gotland is Swedish.
- The whole of the island of Oland consists of these strata.
- At Kalmar, however, on the Baltic opposite Oland, the average is 14.6 in.
- These include the sugar-beet, the profitable growing of which is confined to Skane and the islands of Oland and Gotland.
- A defensive alliance with Sobieski (August 4, 1677) was rendered inoperative by the annihilation of Sweden's sea-power (battle of Oland, June 17, 1676; battle of Fehmarn, June 1677) and the difficulties of the Polish king.Advertisement
- Along the Swedish coast a deep channel runs northward from outside the island of Oland; this is entirely cut off to the south and east by a bank which sweeps eastward and northward from near Karlskrona, and on which the island of Gotland stands, but it communicates at its northern end with the Gotland deep, and near the junction opposite Landsort is the deepest hole in the Baltic (420 metres = 2 3 o fathoms).