Oglethorpe sentence example
- In 1740 General James Edward Oglethorpe, governor of Georgia, supported by a naval force, made an unsuccessful attack upon St Augustine; two years later a Spanish expedition against Savannah by way of St Simon's Island failed, and in 1745 Oglethorpe again appeared before the walls of St Augustine, but the treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle in 1748 prevented further hostilities.
- Mrs Hawkins and Mrs Welch poisoned the mind of Colonel Oglethorpe against the brothers for a time.
- Augusta was established in 1735-1736 by James Edward Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia, and was named in honour of the princess of Wales.
- The Carolina colonists had a trading post in its vicinity before the settlement by Oglethorpe.
- The grant of Georgia to Oglethorpe and his.Advertisement
- Alabama, and in 1739 Oglethorpe himself visited the Creek.
- Its formation was due to a desire of the British government to protect South Carolina from invasion by the Spaniards from Florida and by the French from Louisiana, as well as to the desire of James Edward Oglethorpe to found a refuge for the persecuted Protestant sects and the unfortunate but worthy indigent classes of Europe.
- The first settlement was made at Savannah in 1733 under the personal supervision of Oglethorpe.
- The letter in which he protests to President Oglethorpe against the charges of irreverence, &c., brought against him is printed in Pratt's edition (vol.
- His dam was sister to Miss Partner (1735) by Partner out of Brown Farewell by Makeless (son of the Oglethorpe Arabian) from a daughter of Brimmer out of Trumpet's darn, by Place's White Turk from a daughter of the Barb Dodsworth and a Layton Barb mare; while Brimmer was by D'Arcy's Yellow Turk from a royal mare.Advertisement
- Located on Oglethorpe Square, it was built in 1820 by Isaiah Davenport.