Offensives sentence example
- In view of the anticipated arrival of substantial reinforcements from England there was no great temptation to embark on offensives; and owing to the shortage of artillery ammunition, what there was of it had to be jealously husbanded, although the French divisions were not suffering from this disability so much as the British.
- The effort, however, failed, and further offensives in this quarter were abandoned for the moment.
- The general situation offered them no inducements to embark on fresh offensives.
- A series of partial offensives were therefore undertaken on the succeeding days, on both wings of the army, but with little real result; neither corps could succeed in attaining the final objectives of the first day's attack or clear the enemy entirely from the advanced defences of the Hindenburg line.
- The outpost affrays duly occurred and the real offensives were launched on June 30.Advertisement
- However, it does get more brutal, especially on the live offensives.