Oenone sentence example
- His mother was carried off by Zeus to the island of Oenone, which was afterwards called by her name.
- Here were to be read "The Lady of Shalott," "The Dream of Fair Women," "Oenone," "The Lotos-Eaters," "The Palace of Art," and "The Miller's Daughter," with a score of other lyrics, delicious and divine.
- During this year Tennyson was steadily engaged on poetical composition, finishing "Akbar's Dream," "Kapiolani" and other contents of the posthumous volume called The Death of Oenone, 1892.
- Just before the capture of the city, Paris, wounded by Philoctetes with one of the arrows of Heracles, sought the aid of the deserted Oenone, who had told him that she alone could heal him if wounded.
- Oenone soon repented and hastened after him, but finding that she was too late to save him slew herself from grief at the sight of his dead body.Advertisement
- Ovid (Herotides, 5) gives a pathetic description of Oenone's grief when she found herself deserted.
- The remaining books relate the exploits of Neoptolemus, Eurypylus and Deiphobus, the deaths of Paris and Oenone, the capture of Troy by means of the wooden horse, the sacrifice of Polyxena at the grave of Achilles, the departure of the Greeks, and their dispersal by the storm.
- Later, when wounded by a poisoned arrow, Paris sought Oenone's aid but he died before she could give it.