Oenomaus sentence example
- The leading earlier Cynics were Antisthenes, Diogenes of Sinope, Crates of Thebes, and Zeno; in the later Roman period, the chief names are Demetrius (the friend of Seneca), Oenomaus and Demonax.
- According to one of them, the first race was that between Pelops and Oenomaus, who used to challenge the suitors of his daughter Hippodameia and then slay them.
- On the east front were represented in twenty-one colossal figures the moment before the contest between Oenomaus and Pelops.
- Here he maintained himself as a captain of brigands, his lieutenants being two Celts named Crixus and Oenomaus, who like himself had been gladiators.
- He went to Pisa in Elis as suitor of Hippodameia, daughter of king Oenomaus, who had already vanquished in the chariot-race and slain many suitors for his daughter's hand.Advertisement
- For the former purpose he seems to have made use of an already existent book, perhaps the ror 7 rwv ¢opt of Oenomaus of Gadara, a Syrian who wrote in the time of Hadrian.