Obsequies sentence example
- The periodical performance of the commemorative rite of obsequies called Sraddha - i.e.
- The son or adopted son of the deceased kneels before the highpriest, and promises due performance of all the religious duties and obsequies to the dead.
- c. 2) on occasion of the obsequies of Severus, which he appears to have witnessed.
- The obsequies took place on Sept.
- The obsequies of Achilles, as described in the Odyssey, were also celebrated with details which are strikingly similar to those observed in tumuli both of the Bronze and Iron Ages.Advertisement
- At his funeral obsequies the celebrated proselyte Aquila (Akylas Onkelos), reviving an ancient custom, burned costly materials to the value of seventy minae.
- The important part taken by Portuguese prelates and theologians at the Council of Trent stimulated religious writing, most of it in Latin, but Frei Bartholomeu dos Martyres, archbishop of Braga, wrote a Cathecismo da doutrina Christa, Frei Luiz de Granada a Compendio de Doutrina Christa and Sermoes, all in Portuguese, and other notable pulpit orators include Diogo de Paiva de Andrade, Padre Luiz Alvares, Dom Antonio Pinheiro and Frei Miguel dos Santos, who preached at the obsequies of King Sebastian.
- C. Neville, Saxon Obsequies (London, 1852); J.
- The Jews were also in the habit of using odoriferous substances in connexion with the funeral obsequies of distinguished persons (see 2 Chron.
- When they had performed the funeral obsequies, Al-Hasan arraigned the assassin before him.Advertisement
- The new arrangements under the Eight Hours Act enabled the workmen of various pits to attend the final obsequies in large numbers.
- vi.), we have a parallel to the Roman system; for there "the right to inherit a dead man's property is exactly co-extensive with the duty of performing his obsequies.