Non-partisan sentence example
- He was especially concerned in promoting a non-partisan civil service.
- It centralizes power in a council of five (mayor and four councilmen), nominated at a non-partisan primary and voted for on a non-partisan ticket by the electors of the entire city, ward divisions having been abolished.
- By a law of 1907 cities with a population of 25,000 or more may adopt a commission form of government, with a mayor and four councilmen elected at large on a non-partisan ticket.
- Since 1904 the public school system has been administered by a non-partisan Board of Education chosen from the city at large, and not by wards as theretofore.
- He reformed the administration of the state canals, making the Canal Commission non-partisan; he introduced the merit system into many of the subordinate offices of the state; and he vigorously urged the passage of and signed the Ford Franchise Act (1899), taxing corporation franchises.Advertisement
- As governor (1853-1857) he proved to be able and non-partisan.
- The administration of the city became famous after 1897 when Samuel Milton Jones (1846-1904), a manufacturer of oil machinery, was elected mayor by the Republican party; he was re-elected on a non-partisan ticket in 1899, 1901 and 1903, and introduced business methods into the city government.
- A non-partisan commission, appointed by Secretary John Sherman, recommended sweeping changes.
- A non-partisan board composed of citizens who must not be physicians has general control of the city's hospitals and health department.
- A civic league attempts to give a non-partisan estimate of all municipal candidates.Advertisement
- He soon showed a willingness to rule as a non-partisan, and favoured the re-enfranchisement of white citizens.
- Taylor first adopted a course of discouraging these suggestions and emphasized his non-partisan attitude, but later gave way to the pressure, and issued a statement that proved satisfactory to the majority of the Whig politicians.
- A non-partisan association for political reform did excellent work from 1890 to 1900, when it was superseded by a nonpartisan party.
- In the same year the state enacted a law providing for the non-partisan nomination of all judges, of all superintendents of public instruction and of regents of the state university; nominations are by petition, and there is a separate " official non-partisan ballot " bearing the names and addresses of the nominees and the titles of the office for which they are nominated.
- Nearly every one of his most glaring non-partisan faults has been exposed brutally and on a massive scale.Advertisement
- The Libertarian Alliance is a non-partisan group fighting statism in all its forms and working for the creation of a truly free society.
- The idea of Dr Saenz Pena was to conduct the government on common sense and non-partisan lines, in fact to translate into practical politics the principles which underlay the compromise of the Acuerdo.