New-town sentence example
The most interesting buildings are the old fortified château of the 16th century, with its Gothic chapel restored in 1880; the church of St Bartholomew, dating in its present form from 1538; the new town hall (1894); the Griines Tor, also built in 1538; and the handsome new synagogue.
Since 1880 the city has been almost entirely renovated in the " European " style; the narrow tortuous lanes and mean houses of the Turkish epoch have almost disappeared, and a new town with straight parallel streets has been constructed in the eastern suburb.
A long stone quay next the harbour is backed by the new town climbing up the slopes behind.
The new town hall and post-office are near the uppermost bridge.
It consists of the old town on the left, the new town on the right, bank of the Werra, and BrUckenhausen on a small island connected with the old and new town by bridges.Advertisement
At one period residence and park became known as New-town, a name now obsolete.
The new town was, for the most part, laid out by the German architect Schaubert.
Later on Augustus removed the inhabitants to his new town Augustodunum (Autun), to destroy the free native traditions.
When the empire was overthrown in 1889 and Minas Geraes was reorganized as a republican state, it was decided to remove the capital to a more favourable site and Bello Horizonte was chosen, but Ouro Preto remained the capital until 1898, when the new town (also called Cidade de Minas) became the seat of government.
Probably no town in the kingdom has a nobler group of public buildings than those in Cathays Park, which also commands a view of the castle ramparts and the old keep. On opposite sides of a fine avenue are the assize courts and new town hall (with municipal offices), which are both in the Renaissance style.Advertisement
To the west lies the new town (Neustadt), incorporated in 1678; beyond this and contiguous to Altona is the former suburb of St Pauli, incorporated in 1876, and towards the north-east that of St Georg, which arose in the 13th century but was not incorporated till 1868.
The city council (Rath), first mentioned in 1190, had jurisdiction over both the episcopal and the new town.
The old town, surrounded by arms of the Ill, has narrow and irregular streets, while to the south, on the canal, lie the handsome villas and promenades of the new town.
Finding the spot chosen for the new town inconvenient, the colonists removed to the adjoining island of Sao Vicente, from which the captaincy derived its name.
In the centre is a bold rock, crowned by the castle, between which and the new town lies a ravine that once contained the Nor' Loch, but is now covered with the gardens of Princes Street.Advertisement
Fine white freestone abounds in the immediate vicinity (as at Craigleith, from the vast quarry of which, now passing into disuse, the stone for much of the New Town was obtained) and furnishes excellent building material; while the hard trap rock, with which the stratified sandstones of the Coal formation have been extensively broken up and overlaid, supplies good materials for paving and road-making.
Speaking generally, the New Town wzs resorted to by professional men - lawyers, doctors and artists, - and in its principal streets will be found the head offices of the leading banks and insurance offices, all lodged in buildings of remarkable architectural pretensions.
In 311 B.C. Agathocles put to death 5000 of its inhabitants; and finally, after its destruction by the Mamertines about 281 B.C., Phintias of Agrigentum transferred the remainder to the new town of Phintias (now Licata, q.v.).
In that year, on a hill near the site of the present Capitol, Fort Orange was built, and around it, as a centre, the new town.
The principal street of the new town is the Kaiserstrasse, leading from the railway station to the river.Advertisement
The various quarters are grouped around the principal mosque - the Jewish to the south-west, the Moorish to the south-east, that of the merchants to the north-east, while the new town with the civic buildings lies to the north-west.
In 1080 the Almoravide sovereign Yusef ibn Tashfin, after besieging and sacking Agadir, built a new town on the site of his camp. The new town, called Tagrart, became the commercial quarter, whilst Agadir remained the royal residence.
The works erected by the Turks for the capture of the fortress of Arad formed the nucleus of the new town.
A new town is springing up near-by - the original village of Immingham lies a little inland.
In 1835 the new town was built, and the present fortifications begun.Advertisement
The new town was founded at the foot of the mountain, by the shore, by Roger II.
A new town was laid out in squares, the mudiria repaired and barracks built.
It is divided into an old and a new town (Altstadt and Neustadt).
It has two Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, a handsome new town hall (1895), a gymnasium, and several technical schools.
It has also the church of St John, built in the 13th century, a new town hall, and a statue of Bismarck.
It consists of an old town with narrow and irregular streets and the remains of a fortress and ramparts, and a new town which possesses regular and spacious streets and many fine houses.
Accordingly, in the spring of the following year he sailed from Athens with the colonists who went out to found the colony of Thurii (see Pericles), and became a citizen of the new town.
The descendants of the French refugees who founded the upper new town have a church and hospital of their own.
For a long period the different parts were under separate municipalities, the new town uniting with the old in 1560, and the Bergstadt with both in 1824.
The new town extends to the south, the old town with its wide but irregular streets and its old mansions dating from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries lies to the north.
The first English settlement was made in 1635 by sixty immigrants, mostly from New Town (now Cambridge), Massachusetts; but the main immigration was in 1636, when practically all the New Town congregation led by Thomas Hooker and Samuel Stone joined those who had preceded them.
It consists of two parts, the old town on the right bank and the new town on the left bank of the river; it is rapidly growing and is regularly laid out.
A new town arose eastward of the former site, which is now restored as a citadel.
The public buildings include St Margaret's (1862) and St Winifred's (1883), the parish churches of Mountain Ash and Penrhiwceiber respectively; old and new town halls (1864 and 1904), cottage hospital (1896), and a library institute and public hall erected in 1899, at a cost of £8000, by the workmen of Nixon's Navigation collieries.
The new town has been regularly laid out with broad streets and spacious bazaars, and, situated as it is half-way between Meshed and Askabad on the cart-road connecting those two places, has much trade.
In 1742 Shemakha was taken and destroyed by Nadir Shah of Persia, who, to punish the inhabitants for their creed (Sunnite Mahommedanism), built a new town under the same name about 16 m.
Lourdes is divided into an old and a new town by the Gave de Pau, which at this point leaves the valley of Argeles and turns abruptly to the west.
The old quarter is united with the new town by a bridge which is continued in an esplanade leading to the basilica, the church of the Rosary and the Grotto, with its spring of healing water.
It consists of the old town on the right bank of the river, the new town on the left, and the Bade Insel (bath island), connected by a fine stone bridge.
This total includes the new town of Lashkar or "the Camp" which is the modern capital of the state and old Gwalior.
Its acquisition by Canada and the influx of settlers from Eastern Canada led to the greater importance of Winnipeg, as the new town was now generally called.
In 408 the Carthaginian invading army under Hannibal, after capturing Selinus, in'vested and took Himera and razed the city to the ground, founding a new town close to the hot springs (Thermae Himeraeae), 8 m.
The buildings of the old town are chiefly of brick, from four to five storeys in height, with flat roofs, and other oriental peculiarities; while in the new town hewn stone is very largely employed, and the architecture is often of a modern English style.
It was suppressed in 1714, but restored in 1841, and now occupies an extensive building in the new town.
The city consists of four quarters, - the old town (Altstadt) and its suburban extensions (Vorstadt) being on the right bank of the river, and the new town (Neustadt) with its southern suburb (Siidervorstadt) on the left bank.
Among newer ecclesiastical buildings must be mentioned the handsome Roman Catholic church in Deutz, completed in 1896, and a large synagogue, in the new town west of the Ring, finished in 1899.
The continual hostility that existed between these was intensified by the welcome given by the old town, a free imperial city since 1289, to the Reformed doctrines, the new town keeping to the older faith.
The new town speedily became a place of importance, and was the residence of the naibs, or lieutenants, appointed by the orthodox and Omayyad caliphs.
The new town on the right bank is therefore a centre of the timber export trade, this place being the principal port in Norway for the export of pit-props, planed boards, and other varieties of timber.
It was formerly fortified, but all the ramparts (save the Fort Carre, built by Vauban) have now been demolished, and a new town is rising on their site.
The streets are broad, well paved, and adorned with many elegant buildings, among which are Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist churches, and a new town hall with a tower 165 ft.
The new town hall adjoining the old hall of the Maison Dieu was opened in 1883.
It is situated in the narrow vale of the river Creedy near its junction with the Exe, between two steep hills, and is divided into two parts, the east or old town and the west or new town.
Landshut is still a quaint, picturesque place; it consists of an old and a new town and of four suburbs, one part of it lying on an island in the Isar.
The new town seems to have been founded in 1237.
The town consists of two parts, the closely built old town on the peninsula to the N., and the new town to the S., which is laid out on a rectangular plan.
Among the latter is the stately Luisenplatz, on which are the house of parliament, the old palace and the post office, and in the centre of which is a column surmounted by the statue of the grandduke Louis I., the founder of the new town.
Since the occupation of La Calle by the French in 1836 a new town has grown up along the coast.
The "Place of Slaughter," as the Zulu word Bulawayo is interpreted, was founded about 1838 by Lobengula's father, Mosilikatze, some distance south of the present town, and continued to be the royal residence till its occupation by the British South Africa Company's forces in November 1893, when a new town was founded.
To the new town the Lubeck rights were granted by Adolphus IV.
The new town is the richer portion.
It consists of the old town, which is still partly surrounded by a turreted wall, the new town and four suburbs.
His successor Feroz Shah Tughlak transferred the capital to a new town which he founded some miles off, on the north of the Kutb, and to which he gave his own name, Ferozabad.
The plain between the new town and the sea is occupied by large nurseries, an excellent jardin d'acclimatation, and many market gardens, which supply Paris and London with early fruits and vegetables, especially artichokes, as well as with roses in winter.
The new town lies on the left bank, while the old town rises on the right in terraces.
The new town was founded by Ottokar II., who settled many Germans in it and gave it many privileges.
Of its four Evangelical churches, the old St Michaeliskirche is a handsome structure; but its chief edifices are the new town hall, with a tower 175 ft.
It consists of an old and a new town with four suburbs.
The " new town " of Prague, though not equal in interest to the " old town," is also well worth notice.
Of the many interesting churches in the " new town " the Karlov deserves special mention.
There is also a new town hall which was erected in 1904-1906.
With the assistance of the famous architect, Pieter Post of Haarlem, he transformed the Recife by building a new town adorned with splendid public edifices and gardens, which was called after his name Mauritstad.
It consists of an old and a new town.
The university of Strassburg, founded in 1567 and suppressed during the French Revolution as a stronghold of German sentiment, was reopened in 1872; it now occupies a site in the new town and is housed in a handsome building erected for it in 1877-1894.
A new town then began to spring up, settlers being attracted by the prospect of opening up a trade in the products of a vast forest of valonia oaks which grew near.
Encouraged by Oldham's account of the country, the inhabitants of three Massachusetts towns, Dorchester, Watertown and New Town (now Cambridge), left that colony for the Connecticut valley.
The emigrants from Watertown founded Wethersfield in the winter of 1634-1635; those from New Town (now Cambridge) settled at Windsor in the summer of 1635; and in the autumn of the same year people from Dorchester settled at Hartford.
The new town is on the right bank of the river, while the old town and the fortress are on the opposite bank.
The upper town, with the fortress, is under military authority; the new town and the lower town, which is the headquarters of commerce, are under civil authority.
The new town grew up around the vast locomotive and wagon works of the Great Western railway, and is an important junction on that syrtem with a separate station on the Midland and SouthWestern Junction railway.
Tales features further escapades from the fringes of the New Town which appeared in The Scotsman during 2005.
The new town is right up there with the 21st century with familiar shops intermingled with cosmopolitan bars and international restaurants.
The new Town & Country Planning Act sets up a ' land-use planning system ' which includes national parks.
To try to remedy this, the GLC decided to build a new town on the outskirts of London.
From 1771, Arkwright developed a new town at Cromford in Derbyshire.
A competition was run in the now defunct London Evening Standard to name the new town and the winner was Thamesmead.
East Kilbride became a new town and is now quite sizable.
By 1857 he provided the Committee with a large drawing showing a new town hall somewhat in the manner of a large French chateau.
Today is when your new Town Mayor has the opportunity to tell the townspeople of his or her plans for the coming year.
The old town presents a strong contrast to the new town.
The most interesting buildings are the old fortified chÃ¢teau of the 16th century, with its Gothic chapel restored in 1880; the church of St Bartholomew, dating in its present form from 1538; the new town hall (1894); the Griines Tor, also built in 1538; and the handsome new synagogue.
That this was still a recent settlement in the 7th century is suggested by an allusion in a list of the allies of Assur-bani-pal of Assyria in 668 B.C. to a King Damasu of Kartihadasti (Phoenician for "New-town"), where Citium would be expected.
As the New Town expanded, the Heriot Trust - whose revenues were greatly benefited thereby - erected day-schools in different districts, in which thousands of infants and older children received a free education, and, in 1 James Gillespie (1726-1797) was a tobacco and snuff manufacturer, and when he set up his carriage Henry Erskine suggested as a motto the homely couplet " Wha wad hae thocht it, That noses wad bocht it?
Barcelona thus comprises an old town, still consisting for the most part of irregular and narrow streets, and a new town built with all the symmetry and precision of a premeditated scheme.
One of the most popular J-41 styles is the Aquarius, a flat, slip-on shoe with criss-cross straps that works as well on a rugged trail or traipsing around a new town or a big museum.
The lower, or south-eastern, part contains both the small group of streets belonging to old Stuttgart, and also the most important part of the new town.
The new town received from Garay the name of Ciudad de la Santissira Trinidad, while its port retained the old appellation of Santa Maria de Buenos Aires.
The new town kept the old name until 313, when a Latin colony under the name Suessa Aurunca was founded here.