New-forest sentence example
- With a more direct course, and in a widening, fertile valley it continues past Downton, Fordingbridge and Ringwood, skirting the New Forest on the west, to Christchurch, where it receives the Stour from the west, and 2 z m.
- The best of his books after this date are those written expressly for boys, the favourites being Masterman Ready (1841), The Settlers in Canada (1844), and The Children of the New Forest (1847).
- The New Forest gives name to a parliamentary division of the county.
- The New Forest is one of the five forests mentioned in Domesday.
- Much scarcer is the second species, the sand-lizard (Lacerta agilis), which is confined to some localities in the south of England, the New Forest and its vicinity; it does not appear to attain on English soil the same size as on the continent of Europe where it abounds, growing sometimes to a length of 9 in.Advertisement
- The chantarelle is sold in the markets on the continent of Europe, where it forms a regular article of food, but seems little known in Britain though often plentiful in the New Forest and elsewhere.
- On the infertile Bagshot Beds the large area of the New Forest remains untilled under its ancient oaks.
- The New Forest in Hampshire, the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, and Epping Forest, which is preserved as a public recreation-ground by the City of London, are the most notable instances.
- The 4th earl of Southampton was nearly ruined by a decision that stripped him of his estate near the New Forest.
- In the latter case the national name is said to have survived until Bede's own time, in the New Forest indeed apparently very much later.Advertisement
- Reasonable fees and a modern clubroom set in the heart of the New Forest.
- In addition, a special derogation has been granted to the owners of ponies grazing in the New Forest and on Dartmoor.
- We all finally made our next rendezvous, which was a small hall in a village in the New Forest.
- In 2000, Gerhard Stromberg completed a two-month residency at ArtSway which culminated in an exhibition of photographs taken in the New Forest.
- Today fallow, roe, red and Silka deer roam the forest along with the famous New Forest ponies.Advertisement
- We went down to the New Forest and visited the shipyard in Southampton where the world's largest wooden sailing ship is being built.
- We went down to the New Forest and visited the shipyard in Southampton where the world 's largest wooden sailing ship is being built.