Neutral ground sentence example
- Before his agent returned, however, he had betrayed his colleague's plans to Jefferson, formed the Neutral Ground Agreement with the Spanish commander of the Texas frontier, placed New Orleans under martial law, and apprehended Burr and some of his alleged accomplices.
- The city of Alexandria had gradually become the neutral ground of Europe, Asia and Africa.
- The river forms the frontier between Greece and Turkey, and is crossed by a picturesque bridge, which is neutral ground.
- since become typical of national warfare, the front-to-front conflict along a line which stretches from neutral ground to neutral ground and shows no flank.
- (The numerous minor conflicts which since 1789 had taken place between the colonists and the Kaffirs - the latter sometimes aided by Hottentot allies - are not reckoned in the usual enumeration of the Kaffir wars.) The Kaffirs, who had crossed the colonial frontier, had been expelled from the district between the Sunday and Great Fish rivers known as the Zuurveld, which became a sort of neutral ground.Advertisement
- For some time previous to 1811 the Kaffirs, however, had taken possession of the neutral ground and committed depredations on the colonists.
- The British rock of Gibraltar, in the extreme south of the peninsula, is separated from Spain by a low isthmus known as the Neutral Ground.