Nessus sentence example
- A pupil of Nessus, or, as some accounts prefer, of Democritus himself, he was a complete sceptic. He accepted the Democritean theory of atoms and void and the plurality of worlds, but held a theory of his own that the stars are formed from day to day by the moisture in the air under the heat of the sun.
- In desperation she sends Hercules the gift of an embroidered robe given to her by the centaur Nessus whom Hercules had killed.
- He is approached by Nessus, a 'Piersons Puppeteer' who asks him to lead the exploration of the Ringworld.
- Thereupon Deianeira, prompted by love and jealousy, sends him a tunic dipped in the blood of Nessus, and the unsuspecting hero puts it on just before sacrificing at the headland of Cenaeum in Euboea.
- On the way he slays the centaur Nessus, who persuades Deianeira that his blood is a love-charm.Advertisement
- A mythology reminiscent of Italy is the "Hercules and the Stymphalian Birds" in the Germanic Museum at Nuremberg, founded directly upon the "Hercules and Centaur Nessus" of Pollaiuolo, now at New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A. Of portraits, besides that of his father already mentioned as done in 1497, there is his own of 1498 at Madrid.