Nereus sentence example
- NEREUS, in Greek mythology, the eldest son of Pontus and Gaea, and father of the fifty Nereids.
- The fifty daughters of Nereus, the Nereids, are personifications of the smiling, quiet sea.
- Nereus is represented with the sceptre and trident; the Nereids are depicted as graceful maidens, lightly clad or naked, riding on tritons and dolphins.
- Nemertes was a sea nymph, daughter of Nereus and Doris..
- The base of a similar column has only feet in the same attitude, and probably bore the name Nereus.Advertisement
- As patron of maritime adventure (i yee 6vtos) he struggles with Nereus and Triton, slays Eryx and Busiris, and perhaps captures the wild horses and oxen, which may stand for pirates.
- She was the daughter of Nereus and Doris, and died from the bite of a serpent when fleeing from Aristaeus, who wished to offer her violence (Virgil, Georgics, iv.
- AMPHITRITE, in ancient Greek mythology, a sea-goddess, daughter of Nereus (or Oceanus) and wife of Poseidon.
- THETIS, in Greek mythology, daughter of Nereus, wife of Peleus and mother of Achilles.
- In a grave in the apse was found a large fragment of an inscription, composed by Pope Damasus, but set up by his successor Siricius, which, from the note-book of a Salzburg pilgrim of the 8th century, can be completed thus: - Militiae nomen dederant saevum Officium pariter spectantes juss Praeceptis pulsante metu servi Mira fides rerum subito posue Conversi fugiunt ducis impia castr Projiciunt clypeos faleras tel Confessi gaudent Christi portar Credite per Damasum possit quid Nereus (see Rom.Advertisement
- Sea nymphs were Oceanids or Nereids, daughters of Oceanus or Nereus.