Neopythagoreanism sentence example
- A comparison between the Essenes and the Neopythagoreans shows a parallel so striking as to warrant the theory that the Essenes were profoundly influenced by Neopythagoreanism.
- Lastly Neopythagoreanism furnished Neoplatonism with the weapons with which pagan philosophy made its last stand against Christianity.
- Neopythagoreanism >>
- mystical suggestions in some parts of Plato's teaching which find no counterpart in Aristotle, and in fact disappear from Greek philosophy soon after Plato's death until they are revived and fantastically developed in Neopythagoreanism and Neoplatonism.
- On the other hand, it was difficult practically to realize this alienation, and a keen sense of this difficulty induced the same hostility to the body as a clog and hindrance, that we find to some extent in Plato, but more fully developed in Neoplatonism, Neopythagoreanism, and other products of the mingling of Greek with Oriental thought.Advertisement
- NEOPYTHAGOREANISM, a Graeco-Alexandrian school of philosophy, which became prominent in the ist century A.D.
- Neopythagoreanism was the first product of an age in which abstract philosophy had begun to pall.
- Neopythagoreanism was an attempt to introduce a religious element into pagan philosophy in place of what had come to be regarded as an arid formalism.
- Thus Neopythagoreanism is a link in the chain between the old and the new in pagan philosophy.