Neale sentence example
- Neale was strongly high-church in his sympathies, and had to endure a good deal of opposition, including a fourteen years' inhibition by his bishop. In 1855 he founded a nursing sisterhood named St Margaret's.
- Littledale; and the Letters of John Mason Neale (1910), selected and edited by his daughter.
- For a complete list of Neale's works see article in Diet.
- While incumbent of Curdridge Chapel near Bishops Waltham in Hampshire, he published (1835) The Story of Justin Martyr and Other Poems, which was favourably received, and was followed in 1838 by Sabbation, Honor Neale, and other Poems, and in 1842 by Poems from Eastern Sources.
- 259, 260; Hardwick, Middle Ages, P. 337 3 Geddes, History of the Church of Malabar, p. 4; Neale, Eastern Church, ii.Advertisement
- 176, and in Neale's History of the Holy Eastern Church; but neither has any substantial claim to belong to the ante-Nicene period of Christian literature.
- On the "Heights" are many fine residences with beautiful gardens; the Monastery and Academy (for girls) of Visitation, founded in 1799 by Leonard Neale, second archbishop of Baltimore; and the college and the astronomical observatory (1842) of Georgetown University.
- Neale's Commentary on the Psalms called it a "terse mystical paraphrase, which often comes very little short in beauty and depth of Dionysius the Carthusian himself."
- There may be noticed Sackville College (an almshouse founded in 1608), and St Margaret's home and orphanage, founded by the Rev. John Mason Neale (1818-1866), warden of Sackville College.
- Neale makes three divisions - the liturgy of Jerusalem or of St James, that of Alexandria or of St Mark, and that of Edessa or of St Thaddaeus; and Daniel substantially agrees with him.Advertisement
- Both sacred languages differ from the language of the people, but it cannot be said that in the Eastern Church worship is conducted in an unknown tongue - " the actual difference," says Neale, " may be about that between Chaucer's English and our own."
- Neale, The Holy Eastern Church (General Introduction, 2 vols.; Patriarchate of Alexandria, 2 vols.; and, published posthumously in 1873, Patriarchate of Antioch).
- Having seen how Neale's theory handles discourse anaphora and donkey anaphora, we turn to difficulties with the account.
- There is, however, a further complication in Neale's theory that is invoked in the explanation of donkey anaphora.
- African Americans had effectively segregated themselves probably for the reasons which were identified by Zora Neale Hurston.Advertisement
- Returning to England in 1700-1701, and supported by all the weight of Archbishop Tenison and Henry Compton, bishop of London, he was graciously received by William III., and received letters 1 Neale, History of New England, i.