Nazarenes sentence example
- Epiphanius with his customary confusion makes two separate sects, Ebionites and Nazarenes.
- The origin of the Nazarenes or Ebionites as a distinct sect is very obscure, but may be dated with much likelihood from the edict of Hadrian which in 135 finally scattered the old church of Jerusalem.
- Though there is insufficient justification for dividing the Ebionites into two separate and distinct communities, labelled respectively Ebionites and Nazarenes, we have good evidence, not only that there were grades of Christological thought among them, but that a considerable section, at the end of the 2nd century and the beginning of the 3rd, exchanged their simple Judaistic creed for a strange blend of Essenism and Christianity.
- Jesus led the sect of Essenes, the Nazarenes, who believed the End Time had come.
- The questioners were pious Nazarenes who felt guilt toward God that they had to remain unwashed in their difficult circumstances.Advertisement
- Nazarenes who escaped will have escaped into the hills and the desert wilderness, and thence in to Arabia.