Navvies sentence example
- The contract for building the railway was put in the hands of Thomas Brassey; English navvies were largely employed on the work, and a number of English engine-drivers were employed when traffic was begun in 1843.
- The line was designed, surveyed and constructed by Turkish engineers - employing Ottoman navvies and labourers - in a highly efficient and economical manner, the average cost per mile having been £3230, although considerable engineering difficulties had to be overcome, especially in the construction of the Haifa branch.
- Long iron picks (16), like those of moderp navvies, were made by Greeks in the XXVIth Dynasty.
- In soft material the excavation may be performed by mechanical excavators or " steam navvies," while in hard it may be necessary to resort to blasting.
- A group of navvies appear to be tamping the track on the right-hand side, making it ready to receive trains.Advertisement