Natural-philosopher sentence example
- It is particularly noteworthy from the phosphorescence which it exhibits when heated, or after exposure to the sun's rays; hence its synonym "Canton's phosphorus," after John Canton (1718-1772), an English natural philosopher.
- Progress in these two lines is by no means uniform; while, for example, palaeontology enjoyed a sudden advance early in the 19th century through the discoveries and researches of Cuvier, guided by his genius as a comparative anatomist, it was checked by his failure as a natural philosopher.
- SA.) Pascal as Natural Philosopher and Mathematician.
- Pascal's work as a natural philosopher was not less remarkable than his discoveries in pure mathematics.
- JOHN MICHELL (1724-1793), English natural philosopher and geologist, was born in 1724, and educated at Queens' College, Cambridge.Advertisement
- The publication of these discoveries led to a series of controversies which lasted for several years, in which Newton had to contend with the eminent English natural philosopher Robert Hooke; Lucas, mathematical professor at Liege; Linus, a physician in Liege, and many others.
- In 1699 Newton's position as a mathematician and natural philosopher was recognized by the French Academy of Sciences..
- For the natural philosopher the whole point of view of things was changed; in biology not only had the anthropocentric point of view been banished, but the ancient concept of perpetual flux was brought home to ordinary men, and entered for good into the framework of thought.
- As a natural philosopher he radically opposed Cuvier and was distinctly a precursor of uniformitarianism, advocating the hypothesis of slow changes and variations, both in living forms and in their environment.