Nasopharynx sentence example
- Research My research focus is on capsulated bacterial pathogens that colonize the nasopharynx and even with optimal antibiotic therapy cause mortality.
- It is usually transmitted via the respiratory route, entering through the nose and nasopharynx.
- It includes the eardrum, the three little bones (hammer, anvil, and stirrup) that transmit sound to the inner ear, and the eustachian tube, which connects the inner ear to the nasopharynx (the back of the nose).
- When air is inhaled (inspired), it passes through the nose and the nasopharynx or through the mouth and the oropharynx.
- Nasopharynx-One of the three regions of the pharynx, the nasopharynx is the region behind the nasal cavity.Advertisement
- Perforation is most commonly caused by either chronic or acute infection of the middle ear, usually related to infection of the nose and throat (nasopharynx).
- Bacteria that find their way from the nasopharynx into the built up fluid may cause a middle ear infection.
- The nasopharynx is the air tube extending from the nose that directs air into the lungs.
- The nasopharynx and oropharynx merge into the larynx, which is protected by a trap door called the epiglottis.
- In neonates, pneumonia may result from colonization of the infant's nasopharynx by organisms that were in the birth canal at the time of delivery.Advertisement
- The most accurate method of diagnosis is to culture (grow on a laboratory plate) the organisms obtained from swabbing mucus out of the nasopharynx (the breathing tube continuous with the nose).
- This condition can lead to an impaired clearance and pressure regulation in the middle ear, which, if sustained, may be followed by viruses and bacteria traveling from the nasopharynx to the middle ear.