Nasi sentence example
- Such incidents as the rise of Joseph Nasi to high position under the Turkish government as duke of Naxos mark the coming change.
- nasi, prince, chief) was given to the head of the sanhedrim in Palestine, and is sometimes, though wrongly, applied to the " exilarch," a head of the Jewish college at Babylon.
- According to the tradition of the schools of Palestine Gamaliel succeeded his grandfather and his father (of the latter nothing is known but his name, Simeon) as Nasi, or president of the Sanhedrin.
- the redactor of the Mishna, and his successor as Nasi (patriarch).
- Tradition assigns him the highest dignity of the Sanhedrin, under the title of nasi (" prince"), about a hundred years before the destruction of Jerusalem, i.e.Advertisement
- When the dignity of nasi became afterwards hereditary among them, Hillel's ancestry, perhaps on the ground of old family traditions, was traced back to David.
- Judah, grandson of Gamaliel II., known as the Prince or Patriarch (nasi), as Rabbenu (" our teacher "), or simply as " Rabbi " par excellence, was the editor.
- Then, in the event of a continued drought, fasts of increasing intensity are ordered; and as a last resort the ark is to be brought into the street and sprinkled with ashes, the heads of the Nasi and Ab-beth-din being at the same time similarly sprinkled.'
- Joseph Nasi >>
- The language is purely Essene and messianic--just what we would have expected a Nasi like John the Baptist and now Jesus to be proclaiming.Advertisement