Narva sentence example
- In 1704 he was present at the capture of Narva.
- Ivan intervened in 1558 and quickly captured Narva, Dorpat and a dozen smaller fortresses; then, in 1560, Livonia placed herself beneath the protection of Poland, and King Sigismund II.
- Similar industries, carried on by similar methods, exist at St Petersburg, Riga, Narva and Odessa.
- As Sweden was known to be exhausted by the long wars of Gustavus Adolphus and his successors, and weakened by internal dissensions, the dismemberment seemed an easy matter, and Peter embarked on the scheme with a light heart; but his illusions were quickly dispelled by the eccentric young Swedish king, Charles XII., who arrived suddenly in Esthonia and completely routed the Russian army before Narva.
- On the 6th of October he had reached Pernau, with the intention of first relieving Riga, but, hearing that Narva was in great straits, he decided to turn northwards against the tsar.Advertisement
- from Narva, whence it signalled its approach to the beleaguered fortress, and early on the following morning it advanced in battle array.
- After Narva, Charles XII.
- 27 1917) this action was continued as opposed to the policy of the leading Baits (Sievers, Oettingen, Baron Pilar, Stryck), who were alarmed by the Bolshevik upheaval, the congress of the landless workers at Wolmar (Dec. 16-19 1917), the outrages of the Russian soldiery, the impotence of the more moderate Letts, the universal anti-German feeling, the danger to life and property, and obtained the occupation of the whole region up to Narva by German troops, thus aiding and abetting the Germans in their plans of domination.
- Ballod, and had now to own allegiance to the Ulmanis Government, while the Russian volunteers were transferred to the Narva front.
- Yudenich's army on the Narva front, decided to advance and to occupy the Duna line, after small skirmishes with the Letts.Advertisement
- It was a populous place as early as the 11th century, and carried on a lively trade with Narva on the Gulf of Finland.
- Riga and St Petersburg (including Cronstadt) are the principal ports, but flax is also exported from Revel, Windau, Pernau, Libau, Narva and Konigsberg.
- 18, 1700) and the victory of Narva (Nov.
- The Narova flows out of Lake Peipus into the Gulf of Finland at Narva; it has remarkable rapids, which are used to generate power for cotton-mills; in spite of this, the river is navigated.
- He set out for Narva on the 13th of November, against the advice of all his generals, who feared the effect on untried troops of a week's march through a wasted land, along boggy roads guarded by no fewer than three formidable passes which a little engineering skill could easily have made impregnable.Advertisement