Namaqualand sentence example
- These openings are usually the sandy beds of dried-up or intermittent affluents, such as the Bak, Ham, Houm, Aub (or Great Fish) rivers of Great Namaqualand.
- In 1685 Simon van, der Stell, then governor of the Cape, led an expedition into Little Namaqualand and discovered the Koper Berg.
- In 1704 and 1705 other expeditions to Namaqualand were made.
- Mission stations north of the 'Orange were established a few years later, and in 1813 the Rev. John Campbell, after visiting Griqualand West for the London Missionary Society, traced the Harts river, and from its junction with the Vaal followed the latter stream to its confluence with the Orange, journeying thence by the banks of the Orange as far as Pella, in Little Namaqualand, discovering the great falls.
- In Namaqualand and ~ Damaraland, British influence, exercised from Cape Colony, had long been strong, but the British government had refused to annex the country even when asked so to do by the German missionaries who labored among the natives.Advertisement
- Though annexed in 1884 it was not till ten years later, after protracted fighting, that the Hottentots of Namaqualand recognized Germany.
- Extensive deposits are mined in the United States, particularly at Butte in Montana, and in Namaqualand, South Africa.
- Wool, mohair and ostrich feathers were the chief exports, the only mineral exported being copper (from the Namaqualand mines).
- In 1868 the Europeans in Great Namaqualand and Damaraland petitioned for annexation to Great Britain.
- The coast ranges are here, in Namaqualand and the district of Van Rhyns Dorp, but the outer edges of the inner range.Advertisement
- The rocks have been greatly changed by pressure in most cases and by the intrusion of great masses of igneous material, the Namaqualand schists and Malmesbury beds being most altered.
- The colony is officially divided into nine provinces, but is more conveniently treated as consisting of three regions, to which may be added the detached area of Walfish Bay and the islands along the coast of Namaqualand.
- Port Nolloth is the seaport for the Namaqualand copper mines, whose headquarters are at O'okiep (2106).
- Rye gives its name to the Roggeveld, and is chiefly grown there and in the lower hills of Namaqualand.
- The copper mines are in Namaqualand, an average of 50,000 to 70,000 tons of ore being mined yearly.Advertisement
- During his governorship the resources of the colony had been increased by the opening up of the copper mines in Little Namaqualand, the mohair wool industry had been established and Natal made a separate colony.
- Wherever Isis found a portion of Osiris she buried it; hence Egypt was as rich in graves of Osiris as Namaqualand in graves of Heitsi Eibib.