Nakhichevan sentence example
- But Russia demanded Erivan and Nakhichevan as well as the cost of the war; and in 1827 the campaign was reopened.
- Among the hard conditions for the latter country were the cession in perpetuity of the khanates of Erivan and Nakhichevan, the inability to have an armed vessel in the Caspian, and the payment of a war indemnity of some 3,000,000.
- The population has grown rapidly: while in 1881 it was 70,700, in 1897 it numbered 119,889, and in 1905 126,375, exclusive of the suburbs; if these, which comprise Nakhichevan (32,582(32,582 in 1905) be included, the population is well over 160,000, a figure which is still further swollen in the summer by the influx of about 60,000 men, who find work in connexion with the shipment of grain for export.
- In Nakhichevan there are 20,500 Armenians.
- NAKHICHEVAN, or Nakhjevan, a city of Russian Armenia, in the government of Erivan, 85 m.Advertisement
- Built and rebuilt again and again, Nakhichevan is full of half-obliterated evidences of former prosperity.
- Situated on the highroad to Tabriz and Teheran, Nakhichevan has a large transit trade.
- Armenian tradition claims Noah as the founder of Nakhichevan (the Naxuana of Ptolemy), and a mound of earth in the city is still visited by many pilgrims as his grave.
- Laid waste by the Persians in the 4th century, Nakhichevan sank into comparative insignificance, but by the 10th century had recovered its prosperity.
- By the Persian War, which broke out in 1826, in consequence of frontier disputes, he annexed the provinces of Erivan and Nakhichevan, and during the whole of his reign the conquest of the Caucasus was systematically carried on.Advertisement