Nakhichevan sentence example
- But Russia demanded Erivan and Nakhichevan as well as the cost of the war; and in 1827 the campaign was reopened.
- Among the hard conditions for the latter country were the cession in perpetuity of the khanates of Erivan and Nakhichevan, the inability to have an armed vessel in the Caspian, and the payment of a war indemnity of some 3,000,000.
- In Nakhichevan there are 20,500 Armenians.
- Built and rebuilt again and again, Nakhichevan is full of half-obliterated evidences of former prosperity.
- Situated on the highroad to Tabriz and Teheran, Nakhichevan has a large transit trade.Advertisement
- Armenian tradition claims Noah as the founder of Nakhichevan (the Naxuana of Ptolemy), and a mound of earth in the city is still visited by many pilgrims as his grave.
- Laid waste by the Persians in the 4th century, Nakhichevan sank into comparative insignificance, but by the 10th century had recovered its prosperity.
- By the Persian War, which broke out in 1826, in consequence of frontier disputes, he annexed the provinces of Erivan and Nakhichevan, and during the whole of his reign the conquest of the Caucasus was systematically carried on.