Municipal-borough sentence example
It is evident from the fact of thirteen inhabitants being allowed to hold the manor that the town had some kind of incorporation in the 17th century, although its incorporation charter was not granted until 1899, when it was created a municipal borough.
The town was formerly known as South Stockton, and is still included in the parliamentary borough of Stockton (it is within the Cleveland division of the county), but was incorporated as a separate municipal borough in 1892.
The municipal borough includes the western and part of the Bermondsey divisions of the parliamentary borough of Southwark, and the borough of Newington, divided into the western and Walworth divisions; each division returning one member.
In 1864 the town was made a municipal borough by royal charter.
The corporation consists of ten aldermen and thirty councillors, and the area of the municipal borough is 8408 acres.Advertisement
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 8 aldermen and 24 councillors.
Already in 1884 Sir William Harcourt had attempted to constitute the metropolis a municipal borough under the government of a single council.
It was included in the municipal borough of Stoke-onTrent under an act of 1908.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors.
The parliamentary borough includes the adjacent municipal borough of Batley, and returns one member.Advertisement
Thus Stockport was not a true municipal borough until formally incorporated under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors.
The only municipal borough is Brecon, which is the county town, and had in 1901 a population of 5741.
Southend was incorporated a municipal borough in 1894, under a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors; in 1910 these numbers were increased to 8 aldermen and 24 councillors.
The corporation became a local board of health under the act of 1858, and a municipal borough in 1875.Advertisement
The municipal borough coincides with the east and central divisions of the parliamentary borough of Finsbury, each returning one member.
The parliamentary borough, which returns one member, is coextensive with the municipal borough.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 54 aldermen and 42 councillors.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 9 aldermen and 27 councillors.
The older part of the town, being the whole of the municipal borough previous to 1836, occupies the west bank of the Taw& near its mouth and is now wholly given up to business.Advertisement
In 1836 the municipal borough was made coextensive with the parliamentary borough and continued so till 1868, when some further small additions were made to the Iatter, with which the municipal borough was once more made co-extensive in 1889.
The parliamentary borough of Wandsworth returns one member, but the municipal borough also includes part of the Clapham division of the parliamentary borough of Battersea and Clapham, and part of the Wimbledon division of Surrey.
A county council has the same power of opposing bills in parliament and of prosecuting or defending any legal proceedings necessary = for the promotion or protection of the interests of the inhabitants of a county as are conferred on the council m legal of a municipal borough by the Borough Funds Act 1872, with this difference, that in order to enable them to oppose a bill in parliament at the cost of the county rate, it is not necessary to obtain the consent of the owners and ratepayers within the county.
A municipal borough is a place which has been incorporated by royal charter.
Under the act of 1882 every municipal borough might have its own separate police force.Advertisement
The municipal borough is under a mayor, four aldermen and twelve councillors.
The municipal borough is under a lord mayor (the title was conferred in 1897 on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee), 16 aldermen and 48 councillors.
It received parliamentary representation in 1867, and became a municipal borough in 1886.
The municipal borough comprises the Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Limehouse and St George divisions of the Tower Hamlets parliamentary borough, each division returning one member.
The town possesses no charter before 1868, when it was created a municipal borough.Advertisement
It was made a municipal borough in 1866.
Wolverhampton was incorporated in 1848 as a municipal borough.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, and has an area of 2404 acres, including a large extent of common pasture land.
In the Parts of Lindsey the county boroughs of Grimsby and Lincoln have each a separate commission of the peace and a separate court of quarter sessions, while the municipal borough of Louth has a separate commission of the peace, and there are 14 petty sessional divisions.
Croydon was formed into a municipal borough in 1883, a parliamentary borough, returning one member, in 1885, and a county borough in 1888.Advertisement
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 14 aldermen and 42 councillors.
It was incorporated as a municipal borough in the time of Charles I., when it also received the privilege of returning members to parliament, but at the Union in 1800 it was disfranchised and also ceased to exercise its municipal functions.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 12 aldermen and 36 councillors.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 15 aldermen and 45 councillors.
The municipal borough of Hartlepool is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, and has an area of 972 acres.Advertisement
The municipal borough of West Hartlepool is under a mayor, 8 aldermen and 24 councillors, and has an area of 2684 acres.
The municipal borough is under a lord mayor, 12 aldermen and 36 councillors.
The municipal borough is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, and has an area of 2751 acres.