Mound builders sentence example
- The rude type of the implements, the absence of fine pottery, and the peculiarities of the human remains, indicate a race of occupants more ancient than the "mound-builders."
- Moreover, the mound-builders in the eastern half of this vast plain, being sedentary, were excellent potters.
- The Cincinnati Society of Natural History (incorporated 1870) has a large library and a museum containing a valuable palaeontological collection, and bones and implements from the prehistoric cemetery of the mound-builders, at Madisonville, Ohio.
- The pottery accompanying the remains is often elaborately ornamented, and the mound builders were evidently possessed of a higher development of taste and skill than is evinced by any of the modern aboriginal races, by whom the mounds and their contents are regarded as utterly mysterious.
- Near by are some 18th century buildings, some interesting earthworks of the "mound-builders," and a cemetery in which are buried many soldiers who fought in the War of Independence.Advertisement