Monstrosities sentence example
- Darwin was well aware that variation ranged from differences so minute as to become apparent only on careful measurement to those large departures from the normal which may be called abnormalities, malformations or monstrosities.
- No more excuse for Prescott to let his crony corporate windfarm developers impose their brutal monstrosities upon local communities... .
- Wind farms are notoriously inefficient, unsightly monstrosities whose damage outweighs their utility.
- The Path of Prudence There are, as Miss Reames points out, ways to avoid generic masculines without resorting to linguistic monstrosities.
- For he applied himself to manufacture wares having a close affinity with the shocking monstrosities used for sepulchral purposes in ancient Apulia, where fragments of dissected satyrs, busts of nymphs or halves of horses were considered graceful excrescences for the adornment of an amphora or a pithos.Advertisement
- In many cases, however, monstrosities of flowers have been shown to be due to the irritating action of minute insects or Fungi, and others are known which, although induced by causes unknown to us, and regarded as internal, would not be likely to survive in the wild condition.
- The great Swedish naturalist was possibly justified in treating the two latter creatures as quasihuman, for they seem to be grotesque exaggerations of such tailed and hairy human beings as really, though rarely, occur, and are apt to be exhibited as monstrosities (see Bastian and Hartmann, Zeitschrift fiir Ethnologie, Index, " Geschwanzte Menschen "; Gould and Pile, Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine, 1897).
- There are many forms of it, a good number of which are mere monstrosities not worthy of the garden, especially the so-called golden and silvery varieties.
- Then comes the most outrageous aspect of Insaniquarium, no doubt the reason why the word "insane" is embedded in the title: hideous alien monstrosities will manifest inside your tank and try to eat your fish.
- There are over 20 "chapters" in all to explore, fighting wave after endless wave of alien monstrosities, but by and large, the action is fairly linear.Advertisement
- The most varied changes of this kind have been described, and are generally familiar as monstrosities; the study of them constitutes, under the name of teratology, a distinct department of biology.
- However, it may still be useful in describing monstrosities, and perhaps also those cases in which an organ serves first one purpose and then another, as when a leafy shoot eventually becomes a thorn, or the base of a foliage-leaf becomes a bud-scale.
- The Chinese have domesticated these albinos for a long time, and by careful selection have succeeded in propagating all those strange varieties, and even monstrosities, which appear in every domestic animal.
- The two points thus meeting, the bill is 1 This peculiarity is found as an accidental malformation in the crows (Corvidae) and other groups; it is comparable to the monstrosities seen in rabbits and other members of the order Glires, in which the incisor teeth grow to an inordinate length.
- Monstrosities at least demonstrate possible lines of development, but when the abnormal forms of growth in various directions are fairly evenly balanced, trustworthy deductions become difficult.Advertisement
- Using the gravity gun, you have to use anything in sight to make a pathway to follow, as stepping on the sand calls for the horrible sand monstrosities.