Mode-of-thought sentence example
- The authors he most carefully studied at this period were Thucydides and Aristotle, and for their writings he formed an attachment which remained to the close of his life, and exerted a powerful influence upon his mode of thought and opinions, as well as upon his literary occupations in subsequent years.
- For Ultramontanism fears that any infusion of a national element into ecclesiastical life would entail the eventual independence of the people in question from papal control, and lead to developments opposed to its papalistic mode of thought.
- So soon, however, as the Gospel was carried in Greek to Greeks, Hellenic elements began to enter into it, in the writings, for instance, of St Paul, the appeal to what " nature " teaches would be generally admitted to be the adoption of a Greek mode of thought.
- As Boehme is the typical theosophist, and as modern theosophy has nourished itself almost in every case upon the study of his works, his dominating conceptions supply us with the best illustration of the general trend of this mode of thought.
- Varuna or Indra was for the time being the only god within the worshipper's view; and to this mode of thought he gave the name Henotheism.'Advertisement
- Readers of Philo are familiar with the half-philosophical and half-mythological mode of thought by which the " powers of God " are substantialized into independent personalities.
- His own mode of thought he preferred later to describe as an ideal realism, which refused to reduce reality to thought, but asserted a parallelism between the forms of existence and the forms of knowledge.
- Pelagianism, the rival and contradiction of Augustinianism, represents a mode of thought which appeared early in Christianity and which could count upon sympathizers both in East and in West.
- The mystical speculations of Meister Eckhart, Saint Martin, and above all those of Boehme, were more in harmony with his mode of thought.
- They also said, "fire is brought by Matarigvan;" nothing could have been more in accordance with the mythopoeic mode of thought.Advertisement
- The mode of thought which dominates the modern capitalist philosophy and science is called the metaphysics.
- Even Boetius (it may now be considered certain) was a catholic Christian, although his whole mode of thought was certainly Neoplatonic (see BoETrus).
- To that age the traditions preserved at Dodona bore witness; and the designations of special groups like the / Ay07Toc, Owl lrpaEuliKac, or, possibly, the Venerable Goddesses (Nat, aE,uvai) of Athens, point to a mode of thought when the divine Powers were not definitely individualized.