Mitochondrial-dna sentence example
- While you've probably heard about the role of DNA in tracing ancestry, mitochondrial DNA might be a new concept for you.
- Traditional DNA testing looks at the information contained in the nucleus, but mitochondrial DNA testing examines the genetic material in the mitochondria themselves.
- In a way, mitochondrial DNA is a clue about the identity of our ancient female relatives.
- Your mitochondrial DNA comes from your mother and from her mother before that.
- Instead, the children inherit mitochondrial DNA from their own mother.Advertisement
- He tested the mitochondrial DNA of modern people and found that most of us had one of these seven strands of mitochondrial DNA.
- Testing your mitochondrial DNA will give you some interesting insights about your ancestry, but it will not provide you with names or dates.
- Most people simply use mitochondrial DNA to get some insight into the lives of their ancient ancestors.
- Many genealogists are used to the free research tools on the Internet and can't help but balk at the idea of spending hundreds of dollars to test their mitochondrial DNA.
- While it can be a useful tool in tracing ancestry, mitochondrial DNA testing will not give you specific information about your relatives.Advertisement
- Some people see DNA-related research, particularly mitochondrial DNA research , to be an exciting, albeit expensive, way to establish the relationships between ancestors.
- This type of DNA is passed from mother to child without any mixing, so your mitochondrial DNA is exactly the same as your mother's DNA and your grandmother's DNA.
- However, a man does not pass his mitochondrial DNA onto his offspring.
- These days, you can expect to pay less than $500 for a complete DNA profile, including Y-chromosome genetic testing and mitochondrial DNA testing.