Miser sentence example
- There were no poor in his dominions, no thief or robber, no flatterer or miser, no dissensions, no lies, and no vices.
- There was a fine line between being frugal and being a miser.
- His assertion of divine dignity is disproved by his poverty and his miser able end.
- He was only too glad to make his uncle pay for them, as he swore he was an old miser.
- It seems that he was a " most miserable miserable miser.Advertisement
- Dryden's Amphitryon or the two Sosias (1690) is based partly on the Amphitruo, partly on Moliere's adaptation thereof; Fielding's Miser (acted 1732) on Moliere's L'Avare rather than on the Aulularia, and his Intriguing Chambermaid (acted 1733) on Regnard's Le Retour imprevu rather than on the Mostellaria.
- During a part of this time (1763-1764) he was absent on a tour in France, acting as the bear-leader of a son of the miser Elwes.
- In one combination the initial may remain; thus *oinos cupidus gave un cybydd," one miser "; in another combination it may have originally stood between vowels, and so is mutated, as in *dud cupido, which gave dau gybydd, " two misers."
- In consequence of this deficiency he failed to pay the tribute due from the people to Ptolemy, as his fathers had done, and is set down by Josephus as a miser who cared nothing for the protest of Ptolemy's special ambassador.
- Thus, the miser first sought money as a means to comfort, but ends by sacrificing comfort to money; and similarly though the first promptings to justice (or any other virtue) spring from the non-moral pleasures gained or pains avoided by it, through the link formed by repeated virtuous acts the performance of them ultimately comes to have that immediate satisfaction attached to it which we distinguished as moral.Advertisement